Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
extended trailer! 8-)

Man oh man, HBO is unleashing loads of goodies for all the ASoIaF fans out there. Winter Is Coming, baby! 8-)

Official poster - [Man, my ovaries are sooo gonna explode right now!]

Trailer "Fear and Blood" -

Plus, we have a couple of featurettes about the three main Houses in season 1 - the Starks, the Lannisters and the Targaryens. Enjoy!

House Stark featurette -

House Lannister featurette -

House Targaryen featurette -

And we have some more zany character posters -

And .... we have a review of the first episode! 8-)

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/833 ... eview.html
Author George R.R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series of books contain a sprawling, complex mythology of warring dynasties set in an alternate medieval universe. It would take a steady hand and a healthy bank balance to give them the screen treatment they deserve, and HBO hasn't spared any expense in bringing its adaptation, Game Of Thrones, to our televisions. The horse and ermine budget alone must add up to seven figures. It's a visually sumptuous looking series, with superb, earthy sets augmented by the odd smattering of discrete CG.

The first episode introduces a dizzying array of plotlines, almost to the point where you wonder whether writer/creators David Benioff and Dan Weiss can keep all the fantastical plates spinning. There are all kinds of treasonous intrigues and clandestine affairs going on, and it's to both the credit of Game Of Throne's cast and director that the show remains a gripping watch, in spite of the amount of dialogue and backstory it has to impart.

Sean Bean heads up an exemplary, eclectic cast as Eddard Stark (his friends call him Ned), the lord of the northern castle of Winterfell. As Game Of Thrones begins, Stark is asked by his old friend, King Robert, to become his left hand man, after his previous employee died in mysterious circumstances.

It later becomes apparent that sources close to the king are all plotting to overthrow his reign, while far away to the east, two factions are joining forces to make their own claim for the throne.

Game Of Thrones is gory, adult stuff, and appears to have been designed specifically to rile Daily Mail readers, with its foul-mouthed young princes and unapologetic nudity. The rather self-consciously sensationalistic moments don't always sit well with its grittier, more dramatic points, but then again, it would probably feel a little too po-faced without a few moments of crude levity.

Inevitably, there are some plot strands that are more interesting than others. I found myself less impressed with the growing union between the effete Targaryen dynasty and the barbarous Dothraki overseas than I was with the changing fortunes of Stark's family, but its writers are wise enough to keep the story riding along at a storming pace.

There are some superb characters too, Bean employs his stoic persona as brilliantly as ever, but my personal favourite is Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, a lecherous, vertically challenged prince whose acid wit is worthy of ex-Sex Pistol John Lydon.

Despicable villainy is in plentiful supply, too, with several characters revealing themselves to be far from pleasant as the first episode wears on. There's a pleasing lack of sentimentality in Benioff and Weiss' script, in fact, and Game Of Thrones' characters are universally flawed, interesting people. Lord Stark's womanising while away at war resulted in an illegitimate son, Jon Snow (Kit Harington), while Mark Addy's king is a greedy man of growing girth who's totally unaware of the duplicity of those around him.

While Game Of Thrones' male cast gets the most lines, there are nevertheless some great performances from Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark, while Lena Headey plays the part of Queen Cersei with the icy resolve of Lady Macbeth. Emilia Clarke has less to do as the forlorn Daenerys Targaryen, who's stuck in a miserable union with Khal Drogo, the monosyllabic warlord of the Dothraki.

In fairness, it's hinted that Clarke will have a bigger part to play later on, and it's Jason Mamoa (who'll soon be bearing his muscles again as Conan the Barbarian) who walks away with the trophy of Game Of Thrones' flattest character. He's little more than a grunting, rutting animal in a loin cloth, bless him. Hopefully, the rest of the series will give his character more depth, too.

Viewed on its own two feet, though, this opening episode provides a confident, gripping entry point to what could have been a bewilderingly expansive saga. Game Of Thrones' canvas is enormous and continent spanning, but the superb cast keep the human element of the story front and centre.

Best of all, this opener manages something that many series debuts fail to achieve. It starts with a gripping, even frightening opening sequence, and concludes with a similar dramatic flash that left me clamouring to see the next episode.

If Game Of Thrones can continue along at a pace as brisk and exciting as this, then the series has a bright future ahead of it, which is more than can be said for some of its characters.

Exclusive preview of the first episode -

First and foremost, a big "thank you" to oracle86 for singlehandedly keeping this thread alive. Sorry for being AWOL, i've been preparing for some exams. :(

I'm just glad that I'm not the only A Song Of Ice And Fire fan here in NF; though I'm quite surprised that there aren't more fans here. I thought NolanFans were quite well read and erudite. Ah well... :think:

For all the noobs who havem't decided whether to check out Game of Thrones or not, here's something that might just seal the deal.

http://www.daemonstv.com/2011/04/06/5-r ... f-thrones/

kanjisheik wrote:I'm just glad that I'm not the only A Song Of Ice And Fire fan here in NF; though I'm quite surprised that there aren't more fans here. I thought NolanFans were quite well read and erudite. Ah well... :think:
It's not so surprising. After all, NF is a FILM community! ;) Plus, bibliophiles are a dying breed in the West. I was in London for 4 years, and I was shocked by the attitude of most of my peers towards books. After all, when you have movies, tv shows, games, the Internet, et al, who has time for books? :lol:

Nevertheless, I'm sure a lot of people will get hooked once they start watching Game of Thrones, and a considerable % will read the books. Just like what happened to J K Rowling's Harry Potter, Stephenie Meyer's Twilight, Charlaine Harris' True Blood, and Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead. So don't lose hope!

I'm fully convinced that Game of Thrones will be acclaimed as THE show of 2011, just as The Walking Dead was considered THE show of 2010. :twothumbsup:

Its one of those book series I just never got around to reading. The tv series looks amazing and If it gets cancelled early(I hope not) I will read the books. Id just rather not be spoiled by the books when i watch the show.

Sean Bean is a badass, I will be checking this out.

FirelordSylar wrote:Its one of those book series I just never got around to reading. The tv series looks amazing and If it gets cancelled early(I hope not) I will read the books. Id just rather not be spoiled by the books when i watch the show.
Yes, that is a good idea. I read the books way back in 2005, when the fourth one - A Feast For Crows- came out. Haven't touched them since. I was initially planning to do a re-read since the fifth one -A Dance With Dragons- [how the frak does someone make so cool book titles??? ] is releasing in June, but later opted not to, cos I know that if I read them now, I'll go crazy over every difference between the book and the TV show. Yeah, I can be a douchebag sometimes. ;)

Vader182 wrote:Sean Bean is a badass, I will be checking this out.
Yup, his role is pretty crucial. He is pretty much the one honourable man stuck in a den of rogues, and so he is the one that the reader tends to root for. He was one of the dream castings of this tv show. When Winter Is Coming [the fansite of Game of Thrones] started out, they had a poll, and practically everyone voted for Sean Bean as Ned Stark and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. And HBO, in their infinite goodness, listened and picked them. :twothumbsup: