2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Would be great if Parasite wins

Allstar wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 11:55 pm
Ozymandias wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 11:17 pm
Parasite just won best ensemble at SAG awards. The acting branch is the largest voting block of the Academy, so with this win, Parasite would likely be considered the front runner for Best Picture at the Oscars.
PGA is still a stronger precursor for Best Picture but it’s at least a race.

Also, I don’t really get being that happy or angry about awards at this point.
the only one that would matter is parasite since it would ofc be the first non english bp winner

Aren't people overestimating the significance of SAG ensemble and its effect on the odds of BP win for Parasite, when for the past three years, it hasn't been an accurate indicator?

I mean Green Book and Shape of weren't even nominated for it, same as 1917.

LelekPL wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 1:59 pm
Why would people lose their shit if 1917 wins? I haven't seen any hate for it so far, or am I missing something?
hardcore nolan fans thinking a dunkirk rip off winning bp before nolan will be insulting

joker fans thinking anything but joker winning bp will be insulting (goes for every movie other than joker)

~real~ movie fans thinking an “empty” movie relying on a technical gimmick winning will be insulting

parts of twitter now likening the prospect of this winning to green book now (which to me is the most absurd one yet)

pick your favorite

but personally i’ll honestly be perfectly fine with pretty much any movie winning in that category other than joker, so it’s the craziness of the ride itself that is most amusing at the moment

Mendes already got an Oscar before Nolan, he got knighted before Nolan, he has made Bond before Nolan.

Nolan fanboys need to just get over themselves and this fantasy of Mendes following through their idol's footsteps. It's ridiculous.

I wouldn't be happy with 1917 simply because I prefer 6 of the other nominees for BP and BD, but there's been many worse movies made by much worse people to win these awards. It's helpful to remember that.

Let's take solace regardless how you feel about 1917 that it's infinitely better than Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody.

-Vader

the first 3 points i’ve mentioned are just funny, above all, but the 4th one legitimately pisses me off and i hope it doesn’t take off as the general consensus after awards

people trying to spin this into a green book-like narrative of old white dudes congratulating themselves, with some even bringing nationalism into the fold - how difficult is it to misread a movie as simple as that one was, idk, but somehow people just manage to achieve it every time

It's about fucking time for a Best Picture Winner not in the English language

I would love it if Parasite wins, it's so dam good.

Master Virgo wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Mendes already got an Oscar before Nolan, he got knighted before Nolan, he has made Bond before Nolan.

Nolan fanboys need to just get over themselves and this fantasy of Mendes following through their idol's footsteps. It's ridiculous.
Lmao. So true.

Why didn’t Dunkirk win any awards?