Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 5:38 am
Vader182 wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 5:58 pm
I didn't say it was the worst movie of 2019, I said it was the worst I've seen.

It's really not worth diving into a deep conversation over an appallingly shallow movie.

-Vader
So let's deep dive into TROS endless convo instead, riiight.
You’ve been so on it ever since you’ve returned LOL.

How exactly can a film be ‘dangerous’ anyway? Are we really going to use this verbiage? We live in a Puritan society....

It’s an alright film. Fairly experimental, as in you get the sense that the director wanted to try to transpose some elements of a joker type personality into the early Scorsese deniro world as a film making exercise , and the performance Joaquin gives constantly breaks the fourth wall.

The criticism for the most part seems misguided. It’s mostly reactionary to what other journalists had promoted the film as prior to its release, as opposed to what it’s actually about. They wrote all those pieces about what the themes and message of the film were and then people criticized it on that basis. What’s going on in that world is simply a context, a canvas, upon which the story is told, they aren’t the themes of the movie. And it’s a fairly simple story. It’s about a man breaking through the illusion of who he thinks he is, or has been told he is, and artistically transforming through the medium of dance ( the audience is mislead to believe that he is a comedian) . We watch Joaquin comment on his own artistic process as he explores who the joker might be starting with that Japanese meditative dance he does in the bathroom. The world he occupies seems like a campy comic book, and yet he doesn’t feel like the joker. The sequence at the talk show finally feels like the emergence of the joker, and that ending with him on top of the cop car in the middle of the crowd has a very poetic effect. For one, it’s very reminiscent of the dark knight rises with the revolution of the poor against the rich. Then we get a shot of what looks like Joaquin seeing “himself” the joker from behind and it eerily looks exactly like a shot of Heath ledgers joker from the back. He ponders this, and smears blood over his face. So this joker seems to be very influenced by Nolan’s trilogy, and even comments on the influence those performances had on him. There’s even a billboard in the movie that says “ Ace in the Hole.”

Think this might be a good companion piece to Shame.

Eleven nominations, let the salt flooooou.

Phoenix should win. The rest, idk I'd rather see those awards go the other nominees tbh or am I too Ruthless now?

Can I store the champagne bottles for when 1917 wins Best Picture or Best Director here?

According to the professional experts of the Academy, this is a better comic book film than all of Nolan’s TDK trilogy. I guess that means I should finally give this a watch.

Phoenix should also win a special award for successfully navigating through that godawful script.

Oscars are irrelevant...

... but

... This is good for the industry.