Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Hollywood Theatre in Portland had a 70mm showing of Dunkirk tonight. I have a hard time saying this isn't Nolans best film. Hoytema is on his A game as well. It's gorgeous.

Durden wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 2:07 am
Hollywood Theatre in Portland had a 70mm showing of Dunkirk tonight. I have a hard time saying this isn't Nolans best film. Hoytema is on his A game as well. It's gorgeous.
It is his best film. Or, at the very least, his closest to perfect.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 3:05 am
Durden wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 2:07 am
It is his best film. Or, at the very least, his closest to perfect.

-Vader
Memento comes pretty close to joining this tbh.

Vader182 wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 7:23 pm
IMDB is the resource you want. Aspect ratio, capture format, etc.

-Vader
But it's not very reliable whether or not a film was finished in 4K or otherwise. Other than that yes.

if you feel the need to have a cathartic cry for an hour and forty minutes i encourage you to watch Free Solo

Queen of the Desert: I really don't agree with the reviews this film got. It's a relative quiet, intimate look at a compelling person. I think people have quite different expectations when it comes to a biopic over a person like Gertrude and the time period it's set in. I thought Herzog's directing, Kidman and Pattinson performances were great. Kidman perfectly embodies the story this wants to tell, she radiates the regal aspect. Pattinson is delightful as the eccentric Lawrence. I mean sure, there are some dialogue scenes which don't flow all too well but overall, it works for me.

Field of Dreams: This was lovely dreamy and hopeful. It takes some time to get going in the first act but once it has its premise introduced and they stick to it, it's great. Also, I felt like there were quite some Interstellar connections when it comes to the setting and the mystery.

The Best Years of Our Lives: Amazing, such a great look at three very different veterans of WWII, even more so given that this was made in '46 and I don't think many people were waiting for a film like this. It's relatively long but it feels both earned and like it went by in a moment. Great performances, I mean everything was just great.

Shadow of the Vampire: As of yet my final Dracula film given the whole Lee marathon of last month lol. Dafoe is captivating as Schreck/Dracula. He's always such a commanding screen presence but this must be one of the best performances I've ever seen of him. I loved the gothic style. The original Nosferatu, Nosferatu Phantom der Nacht and this one make for a pretty great trilogy.

Jojo Rabbit: This was a lot of fun. Davis and Yates were the highlights, wonderful chemistry and performances. Yates was just so endearing. McKenzie was great in the most serious role of the film. Waititi was fun but I think he overstayed his welcome. Overall I don't think it's a perfect blend of different genres, but it gets close.

Hustlers: Pleasantly surprised, Lopez is pretty damn good in this. I liked how the film never exploited the lead actresses when it comes to nudity, I mean yes there's quite some stripping early in the film but the film favors dialogue over sheer looks. I mean, it does all look very pretty. Not just the actresses, but everything else too. The directing is just as sexy as the subject.

Where is Kyra?: So dark, glooming and brooding. Pfeiffer is good, as always, but I think this film could've used some more energy.

Rope: Absolutely delightful. Great use of a single location and using only very lengthy shots. Hitchcock perfectly builds up the tension and it never drags. I love how a lot of tension means you can sort of get away with a relative short runtime while still feeling like you just saw a 2 hour film. And it's always nice seeing a 40s film in color.

Ready or Not

This was great. Def going in my 2019 top 10

In the last week:

The Two Popes - 3.5/5
3:10 to Yuma (2007) - 5/5
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - 2/5
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - 4/5
The Man from Laramie - 3.5/5
Little Women (1994) - 4/5
Jackie Brown - 4/5
A Ghost Story - 3/5

The Batman trilogy I made up in my head. Most awesome films ever imagined.

Batfan175 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 2:12 pm
The Batman trilogy I made up in my head. Most awesome films ever imagined.