Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Pratham wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 8:49 am
DREAMER wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 8:43 am
If I was a member of Sharon Tate's family I would be livid with this film.
b r u h

https://ew.com/movies/2019/07/26/once-u ... ter-debra/
Well that's where me and her differ.

But,hey, its Hollywood.
Like fuck taste.
Everything's open for entertainment.
Last edited by DREAMER on January 5th, 2020, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

imagine having the audacity to think you know better what tate’s family should consider as inappropriate/offensive than her actual family member who knew her better than anyone

Ruth wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 9:09 am
imagine having the audacity to think you know better what tate’s family should consider as inappropriate/offensive than her actual family member who knew her better than anyone
Imagine accepting and getting entertained by something as crass,exploitative and tasteless as this.

There's nothing crass or tasteless about it. it's a movie that essentially treats Tate as a religious figure. I cannot imagine what could be more reverent to her.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 9:16 am
There's nothing crass or tasteless about it. it's a movie that essentially treats Tate as a religious figure. I cannot imagine what could be more reverent to her.

-Vader
That ending was pretty damn tasteless.

DREAMER wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 9:22 am
Vader182 wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 9:16 am

-Vader
That ending was pretty damn tasteless.
how?

The last act is tasteless because it over simplifies death and violence.
It turns into a silly loony Tunes skit and unashamedly Tarantino plays with these characters in such a reckless, childish manner that oversimplifies what came before.
The meat of the film is no longer there, for me.

You could add classic Looney Tune sounds effects (ping ! pong ! pow!) in that last scene and it wouldn't look or sound out of place.

Its just so over the top,so slapstick that it become utterly ridiculous. How am I supposed to take this seriously ?
These Manson kids were on their way to do some real horrible things to Sharon Tate and then Tarantino takes them out of their sick little mission of their's and places them into a fucking live-action-cartoon.

Its why I feel the tone of the last act particularly hard to like.
is so crass towards Tate. Because its a void.
The seriousness of the situation is no longer present.
Its just not there.
It's like I walked into a different film.

Sure we can all sit there laughing "hahaha,those Manson kids sure got their comeuppance" but its a indulgent and cheap
It cheapens what came before and it cheapens the real facts of what actually occurred and that's the disappointing thing for me.

It's like he's two different directors in one and you're never quite sure which one is pulling the wool over your eyes.

There's little depth in death with Tarantino. We all know that. Its abit of a game for him and that's understandable because he's a lover of trashy,violent films.

In all of his films not once have I felt emotionally attached to any one of his characters that get killed off ,usually in the most bizarre comedic fashion.
Death in film is hilarious to the guy. There's no depth in it with him and thus,as a viewer, I'm sort of left in no mans land with him because this is fundamentally such a delicate subject.
It's like Tarantino is trying to make a delicate dish with a machete.

Sure his films have spunky characters and punchy dialogue and only recently have looked fantastic but there's nothing there underneath and,the disappointing thing for me is, it could have easily been here with this but he loses it at varying circumstances in the film.

Its directed by Jekyll and Hyde. A film pulling in two directions and not feeling confident or comfortable in either.

DREAMER wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 10:47 am

Sure we can all sit there laughing "hahaha,those Manson kids sure got their comeuppance" but its a indulgent and cheap
It cheapens what came before and it cheapens the real facts of what actually occurred and that's the disappointing thing for me.

They’re portrayed as one dimensional teenagers and never come across as a real threat. What was the point of that ranch sequence. The guy goes into their territory, talks to a random old guy, and nothing happens. Are we supposed to care about this for some reason ?

Sharon Tate was like fairy dust in this movie. We see her prance around town and then watch a movie with herself in it, and, that’s it?

The Exposition. Every scene is like 90 percent boring exposition. McQueen for example. “This guy likes this girl. And this girl likes this guy. And this guy. And this girl. And that guy. And that girl.” Great dialogue bruh. Why was this character and scene needed?

Then we have brad Pitt pausing and slow drawling through every single line, meanwhile he’s on the awards circuit trying to convince us of the “rich poetic rhythm” of Quentin Tarantino dialogue.

Come on man this movie was so trash.