TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.

masterpiece
1 : a work done with extraordinary skill
especially : a supreme intellectual or artistic achievement

As such, I don't think any film can be a masterpiece in the true sense of the word. Even the wikipedia page notes that, in context of cinema, the term is a loosely used.

Furthermore, because any movie involves many people, including but not limited to cinematographer, director, actors, costume designers, stunt designers/co ordinartors, producer(s), writer(s), composer(s), editor(s) etc; one can't really trace films back to their masterminds.

So it's a combinaton of things. And that's why you have so many categories for academy awards; the most important being best picture itself, not best actor or director.

blackColumn wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 3:27 am
(In an unfortunate turn of events...none of Mr. Christ. films made it to critics' Top 100 list. Here on NF, we bemoan this tragedy. Hopefully post Tenet projects will change how critics perceive Mr. Christ.)

https://www.slantmagazine.com/film/the- ... the-2010s/

[amen]
Slant has the biggest collection of Nolan naysayers this side of maybe Cinema Scope or Reverse Shot so it's not a big surprise.

All of these decade lists are almost exactly the same btw.

blackColumn wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 6:30 am
masterpiece
1 : a work done with extraordinary skill
especially : a supreme intellectual or artistic achievement

As such, I don't think any film can be a masterpiece in the true sense of the word. Even the wikipedia page notes that, in context of cinema, the term is a loosely used.

Furthermore, because any movie involves many people, including but not limited to cinematographer, director, actors, costume designers, stunt designers/co ordinartors, producer(s), writer(s), composer(s), editor(s) etc; one can't really trace films back to their masterminds.

So it's a combinaton of things. And that's why you have so many categories for academy awards; the most important being best picture itself, not best actor or director.
Yes although I think that a film, not all of them cause nowadays some people overuse the term saying that many are such thing but overreact, can still be considered a masterpiece in a sense. The overall product can be I mean. Can we say it’s a director’s masterpiece? Most of the time no because it’s a collaborative effort and other directors don’t even write their movies but some of them like Stanley Kubrick (or maybe a few other examples) kept their vision throughout therefore almost every piece of a film ended up the way it did due to their continued involvement with the many aspects of a project. In a way it could be said but loosely that it’s a director’s masterpiece if they wrote it as well perhaps. At least when it comes to those terms maybe? Or just “his masterpiece vision”? Lol

Either way, I believe the final product still can.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 4:14 am
blackColumn wrote:
(In an unfortunate turn of events...none of Mr. Christ. films made it to critics' Top 100 list. Here on NF, we bemoan this tragedy. Hopefully post Tenet projects will change how critics perceive Mr. Christ.)

[amen]
I didn’t see Parasite in the list unless I missed it. If it’s not there then this list means nothing lol

Under the skin is pretty high... Not a bad film but not great either. Wouldn’t consider it to be in such a list if you ask me but to each to their own I guess.
Under the skin is a lot of people`s favorite film, i can see why, but it does nothing for me, i feel like most of Chris`s work will be more critically appreciated down the line.

gropercity wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 4:43 am
Maximillian wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 12:18 am
Feel like this film will be around 2 hours 28mins just like Inception.
I'm betting it's over 3 hours. Pattinson said something along the lines of "it's the length of three movies". I'm taking that literally. Also, Nolan was watching Lawrence of Arabia on repeat while writing Tenet. That might be a sign that this movie is his largest and longest.
agree

Nicolaslabra wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 4:14 am
blackColumn wrote:

[amen]
I didn’t see Parasite in the list unless I missed it. If it’s not there then this list means nothing lol

Under the skin is pretty high... Not a bad film but not great either. Wouldn’t consider it to be in such a list if you ask me but to each to their own I guess.
Under the skin is a lot of people`s favorite film, i can see why, but it does nothing for me, i feel like most of Chris`s work will be more critically appreciated down the line.
His films have featured on lots of these lists, both in the 2000s and 2010s (Interstellar being an baffling exception, don't understand why that film is not making more lists in the US).

Nicolaslabra wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Under the skin is good but not something to be considered excellent or great but each to their own. And actually, I was thinking something like that. Down the line Nolan films will be more appreciated hopefully. I mean, we’ve seen in the past where some films were critically panned and now they are very much appreciated like The Thing.

Robin wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 3:17 pm

His films have featured on lots of these lists, both in the 2000s and 2010s (Interstellar being an baffling exception, don't understand why that film is not making more lists in the US).
You can only wonder. But one thing I’ve seen in common when people complain about interstellar is the concept of love that the film establishes. Many didn’t like it and mostly they have problems with those last minutes because of this even though the tesseract is based on some theories and not just pure fantasy. Apparently if you read the book of “The Science of Interstellar” by Kip Thorne. You can understand it better.

El Especial wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 3:02 pm
gropercity wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 4:43 am

I'm betting it's over 3 hours. Pattinson said something along the lines of "it's the length of three movies". I'm taking that literally. Also, Nolan was watching Lawrence of Arabia on repeat while writing Tenet. That might be a sign that this movie is his largest and longest.
agree
Do you really think it will be 3 hours? (not asking in a confrontational way). I mean, considering the big budget for Tenet and how people sometimes complain about long films that are not franchise based (they even complain about the length of these sometimes) like endgame, would they want Tenet (being an original) to be 3 hours? Avatar was 2h 42m but the visuals, 3D, etc. Helped a lot.

Tenet would have to be really really amazing to make people want to stay for 3 hours. For such a budget they are probably aiming for a really good box office.