Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well put, Ruth.

I think Rian brilliantly balanced new ideas and story points while still mirroring some of what the OT did.

Rey’s training with Luke = Luke’s training with Yoda
Rey, Kylo Ren and Snoke = Luke, Vader and The Emperor

I’m sure there more subtle moments in that movie as it’s so brilliantly written and thought out by Rian. Watching again made certain stuff click more with me, like Poe’s arc. He learned his lesson and applied it at the end of the film by leading them out to Rey. I thought that was beautiful. At the end of the film, each character felt much more mature and ready for whatever comes next.

Vader182 wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 8:08 pm
I DO blame him for airing this publicly. Shame on him for biting the hand that feeds him, truly.
it’s even more so shitty when he’s fully aware of how people have been treating Johnson and everybody else (including his own friends) for destroying the franchise these past few years

this just seems so wrong on so many levels. he’s not outright saying it was trash, but he’s saying just enough to get in good graces of those who think of themselves as the “real star wars fans”. basically siding with those who see no issue with driving people off social media or sending death threats

I feel terrible for Johnson. No director should ever be treated like this by their cast. Especially when the film is such a big critical and commercial success and a high point in each of their careers.

There is a time to voice your opinion of sth and then there is the time to support your colleague who has never given anything but praise about your work to maintain the unity of the team if for nothing else.

This is another example.
Ridley discussed Rey’s relationship to Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi. She explained “J. J. [Abrams] might disagree, but Rey was looking for a parent figure and Luke just wasn’t that for her and that’s what I always found so upsetting about The Last Jedi and why I felt like it was so emotional doing it ’cause like all she wants is a family.”
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... jedi.html/

They’re getting harder to like. Bad taste in my mouth entering Rise of Skywalker. The success and fame went straight to their heads, they know little about storytelling. They prefer JJ’s more conventional storytelling clearly. Makes sense. Throwing bones to the toxic fans years after the fact is just a terrible look.

I warned you all at the time Ridley and Boyega clearly struggled with what RJ did with their characters in the movie. It was very awkward during some of the press conferences. That said, Hamill was more outspoken than either of them and did way more damage than either of them combined. He did publicly apologize obviously, but they all felt betrayed by Rian's screenplay. Hell, Michael Kaplan said going from JJ to RJ was like going from Obama to Trump. You guys thought I was trying to drag TLJ since I had issues when it came out. I wasn't.

Ridley seems to have matured past this, however. She recently defended both TFA and TLJ as being good movies and is very protective of Rey's arc across all the films. Despite being into woo shit, she seems to have gained a healthier perspective on the trilogy.

The only actor who is badmouthing TLJ and RJ during this press tour is Boyega, which I repeat is pretty shameful no matter what valid issues do or don't exist with his character arc.

-Vader

All I can think of atm is how, in time, once we’ve had enough Star Wars for the public perception of the Last Jedi to change (and y’all know that’s coming within a decade or two), all of this might reflect awkwardly on the actors who chose not to take a more direct stance of support for their director. Johnson is by all accounts a really nice dude, with *knocking on wood 3 times* no history of abuse or any kind of misconduct against his colleagues, who just came out with a critically acclaimed film and which will likely continue on for years to come. Even the nutty fans will stop hating him once they get something new to hate.

Obvs I don’t constantly keep up with this, so I don’t know which people change their opinions or gain a more mature perspective, but to those who do - big props. Still sucks how this turned out for so many reasons. And I totally understand both sides and how everyone is entitled to their feelings.

edit: curious to know if Driver has ever said anything about this or the backlash? The last I remember of him was when he said he wasn’t even sure he’d be watching the film. But it would make sense for him to not get involved in any of this, dude seems really professional.

Driver is a pro and a great dude, he appreciated RJ’s screenplay very highly right off the bat with how much nuance and moral ambiguity it had and never said a bad word about it. Not surprised, he has impeccable taste unlike an amateur like Boyega.

So how exactly do I get hyped for ROTS when its own cast is trashing it left and right? So unprofessional and green of Boyega, Ridley, even Daniels and Hamill.

lol Allstar ripping Boyega here is actually hilarious, I love it

Ruth wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 10:13 pm
Obvs I don’t constantly keep up with this, so I don’t know which people change their opinions or gain a more mature perspective, but to those who do - big props. Still sucks how this turned out for so many reasons. And I totally understand both sides and how everyone is entitled to their feelings.
Some overlook Ridley was struggling with severe anxiety and mental health problems throughout much of TFA and TLJ. TLJ wrote her into a place that stripped her of her emotional support system (IE, Boyega) and she reacted. As she grew into a healthier emotional and mental place, she seemingly grew to appreciate TLJ for what it was. She never openly criticized the movie, either, only spoke to it being hard for her and why. So how about we don't shame Ridley (cough, virgo, cough) for this, hm?

PS, Driver is totally in sync and supportive of both JJ and Rian and has only praised the movies and the work of the people around him. JJ's 3 movie arc to him is what sold him to sign onto the trilogy.

m4st4 wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 10:56 pm
So how exactly do I get hyped for ROTS when its own cast is trashing it left and right? So unprofessional and green of Boyega, Ridley, even Daniels and Hamill.
I love Star Wars and I love the Sequel Trilogy and nothing the cast could say would fuck that up for me. I won't let the toxic fandom ruin it, and I wouldn't let the cast ruin it. But that isn't what's happening anyway. Everyone is saying they love TROS and it brings everything to a great close.

What is happening is one person this press cycle, Boyega, rudely throwing shade at TLJ while saying TROS is "who Finn always should have been." It's ugly and sours the mood of anticipation, but it's just one dude. Let it brush off your back brother and try to enjoy the last movie of the Skywalker Saga.

-Vader