Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I loved ROTJ so if it's anything like it, I'd be content. However, so far the promotional materials have not made me excited one bit and other than Kylo I'm kind of lukewarm on the new characters' conclusion (Finn was great in the first one but retreading almost the same storyline in TLJ killed the momentum for me). The things I'm most excited for are the returns of Luke and Lando (Palpatine was always a generic villain for me, never got the hype so I'm kind of meh on his return) and what will the state of the galaxy be in general.

LelekPL wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 5:26 am
I loved ROTJ so if it's anything like it, I'd be content. However, so far the promotional materials have not made me excited one bit and other than Kylo I'm kind of lukewarm on the new characters' conclusion (Finn was great in the first one but retreading almost the same storyline in TLJ killed the momentum for me). The things I'm most excited for are the returns of Luke and Lando (Palpatine was always a generic villain for me, never got the hype so I'm kind of meh on his return) and what will the state of the galaxy be in general.
Dead wrong.

Vader182 wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Michaelf2225 wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 9:48 am
tickets for december 19th in dolby bought

gonna start crying as soon as the lucasfilm logo shows up. for all the hate this new trilogy has gotten, i’m 21 years old - for all intents and purposes, this is my star wars
100% yes. I cannot overstate how emotionally connected I feel to the new slate of characters, Kylo Ren and Rey especially. I'm invested on a cut-to-my-marrow level that I just wasn't in the OT and PT. I know I'm far from alone in that, whether it's TFA or TLJ that makes a person feel that way. For me, of course, it's both. It's going to be a cathartic night.

I say this greedily, but for all the grief Kennedy gets, she has made a truly above-par Star Wars trilogy that's far above the quality I expected back during the announcement in 2012. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I am very very glad it works for me.

-Vader
yeah. i vaguely remember watching ROTS on dvd shortly after it came out, but i was like 7. i had lightsabers and all the toys, but i was never really attached to the prequel characters. when i was old enough to really understand the films, i obviously gravitated towards the OT, and they became "my" star wars.

but with this trilogy, i saw the first two (and will be seeing the third) with my best friend opening night. the connection i have to these characters, to rey, far outweigh anything i ever felt with the OT - to the point where i'd position rey snatching the lightsaber from kylo in TFA as my defining star wars moment.

do i think that ANH and ESB are better movies than TFA and TLJ? overall, i guess so. but man, i've never felt as connected to star wars as i do with these movies

EDIT: new clip just posted to youtube spoiler tagging below

Wish I could feel as emotionally invested in these new characters as much as you guys but,minor Domhnall Gleeson as the nasty hammed up General Hux ,I just find them too bland and wooden.

Forum Pro
Law
Posting cause most will probably miss it in the post above, but yeah new clip

Michaelf2225 wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 9:28 am
Vader182 wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Michaelf2225 wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 9:48 am
tickets for december 19th in dolby bought

gonna start crying as soon as the lucasfilm logo shows up. for all the hate this new trilogy has gotten, i’m 21 years old - for all intents and purposes, this is my star wars
100% yes. I cannot overstate how emotionally connected I feel to the new slate of characters, Kylo Ren and Rey especially. I'm invested on a cut-to-my-marrow level that I just wasn't in the OT and PT. I know I'm far from alone in that, whether it's TFA or TLJ that makes a person feel that way. For me, of course, it's both. It's going to be a cathartic night.

I say this greedily, but for all the grief Kennedy gets, she has made a truly above-par Star Wars trilogy that's far above the quality I expected back during the announcement in 2012. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I am very very glad it works for me.

-Vader
yeah. i vaguely remember watching ROTS on dvd shortly after it came out, but i was like 7. i had lightsabers and all the toys, but i was never really attached to the prequel characters. when i was old enough to really understand the films, i obviously gravitated towards the OT, and they became "my" star wars.

but with this trilogy, i saw the first two (and will be seeing the third) with my best friend opening night. the connection i have to these characters, to rey, far outweigh anything i ever felt with the OT - to the point where i'd position rey snatching the lightsaber from kylo in TFA as my defining star wars moment.

do i think that ANH and ESB are better movies than TFA and TLJ? overall, i guess so. but man, i've never felt as connected to star wars as i do with these movies

EDIT: new clip just posted to youtube spoiler tagging below
i think you're far from alone here. your experience is pretty identical to my girlfriend's, in fact, who only really saw star wars in the leadup to The Force Awakens. It's the first Star Wars she experienced that was "hers." She has an ownership and connection to the Sequel Trilogy she just can't have to the previous entries, as much as she loves them (Empire and Revenge of the Sith are her favorite).

i'm a lifelong star wars fan, and revenge of the sith is my most watched movie ever, and I still get very emotional if not cry at the "You were my brother Anakin."

PS, every few days I see from people how TROS doesn't have much buzz (Nomis, etc). I think it's helpful to point out we all said the same thing about The Last Jedi, which was marketed in a similar way. TROS is amping up in a big way, but I don't need marketing materials to tell me whether or not I should be excited.

-Vader

Law wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
Posting cause most will probably miss it in the post above, but yeah new clip

Mad Max vibes