Hideo Kojima Official Thread

A place to discuss music and video games.
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 5:29 am
i'm not a massive gamer but Tim Rogers video reviews are the one thing keeping me tethered to the medium

"Death Stranding is an instant classic that video game players, designers, writers, and thinkers, will consider and discuss for the forseeable future. This is my opinion at its most serious. You can close the tab now."

I can't tell when Rodgers is actually being serious or not lol

I'm taken aback, slightly, that DS has Kojima's most divisive reviews of his career. It has his lowest metacritic by quite a high margin. That said, we all knew it would be extremely divisive, and divisive it is.

It's comforting the biggest Kojima people all seem to *love* it while many people who don't fuck with the eccentricities of MGS are the loudest critics. There are still some big Kojima people who tried to like this and couldn't, though.

I'm, of course, still crazy excited for it. Day 1 and all that.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 6:27 pm
I'm taken aback, slightly, that DS has Kojima's most divisive reviews of his career. It has his lowest metacritic by quite a high margin. That said, we all knew it would be extremely divisive, and divisive it is.

It's comforting the biggest Kojima people all seem to *love* it while many people who don't fuck with the eccentricities of MGS are the loudest critics. There are still some big Kojima people who tried to like this and couldn't, though.

I'm, of course, still crazy excited for it. Day 1 and all that.

-Vader
I remember when the E3 2018 trailer dropped and we were discussing how the marketing was specifically framed in a more pacifistic way, where violence was not brought up and the trailer cut away as soon as a gun was shown. People were frustrated after that trailer back when we didn't know what the game was because people wanted a Metal Gear-esque third-person shooter/stealth game.

I'm not surprised at all that critics are "mixed" (the majority is still positive) on this. I just hope the loud minority trying to stir the pot, who have been against the game from the beginning either bc of console war motivations or similar reasons to Nolan hate, don't prevent Kojima from making more free and uncompromising game experiences. The last thing he needs is another studio breathing down his neck to make sure he forces in more gun-play.

I do find it funny that even his most divisive game and lowest MC score by a large margin (~7 points) is still 80+.

84% is mixed now, eeeeverybody panic immediately

Look who got stranded in Berlin

No, my hair isn't supposed to look that way, shut up
Last edited by prince0gotham on November 5th, 2019, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prince0gotham wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 1:30 pm
Look who got stranded in Berlin
No, my hair isn't supposed to look that way, shut up
Incredibly jealous. One of the few icons I hope to have the pleasure of meeting. Him and Yoji both.

Oh yeah I feel incredibly lucky. Didnt know until monday about the event and was 5 minutes away from never getting that photo.

Also just to confirm: Kojima is super humble in person, he embraced every person who approached him for a photo and kind of managed to make the moment about that person and less about himself I felt.