Watchmen (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 2:58 pm
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 2:42 pm
you guys what is up. Add 'Lindelof' or 'miniseries' if you're truly compelled to differentiate it
I was implying off topic discussion lol.

i am at least proud that the mods are receptive to the people*

but yes no brands pls i'm a corporate snowflake

*bane voice

While I do think the pilot was a fascinating and enthralling piece of television and I can't wait for the rest of the season, I was constantly questioning exactly why it had to be called Watchmen. Yes, there are plenty of visual cues that come echo the graphic novel, but I had a hard time drawing a line in how it related to the events that occurred in 1985. Even with something like say Blade Runner 2049, there were moments from the first movie that informed certain scenes and what they meant narratively in the sequel. Maybe once some characters like Laurie Blake and Dr. Manhattan are finally introduced, we'll get a clearer picture of how it's all connected.

The trailer didn't make it feel like Watchmen imo, the pilot completely did though, it's super early but it feels right imo, the way a Watchmen sequel should feel (although Doomsday Clock technically is a sequel too, and it's great).

Do watch the "In The Weeks Ahead" trailer, very exciting things coming up.

BlairCo wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 6:57 am
While I do think the pilot was a fascinating and enthralling piece of television and I can't wait for the rest of the season, I was constantly questioning exactly why it had to be called Watchmen. Yes, there are plenty of visual cues that come echo the graphic novel, but I had a hard time drawing a line in how it related to the events that occurred in 1985. Even with something like say Blade Runner 2049, there were moments from the first movie that informed certain scenes and what they meant narratively in the sequel. Maybe once some characters like Laurie Blake and Dr. Manhattan are finally introduced, we'll get a clearer picture of how it's all connected.
Well, the constant deficit or expository information that forces you to keep questioning the narrative and almost "have to have faith in there being a connecting thread to all of it" is the very thing that made The Leftovers tick (tock) so uniquely. It installs a permanent feeling of there being grander things happening behind the scenes, the momentum of which is now unstoppable, and all the missing pieces between this and the original is part of that design really, so i feel in very, very good hands. And if anything, the very way in which the original just went boldly ahead with stuff that is at first glance just silly and campy (but it gave no fucks), all the altverse specificities and the stupid costumes, all of that I feel works the same way in this one in how it doesn't feel obliged to spell stuff out. In that sense it can't be more Watchmen than this.

Btw shameless RDR2 plug, but whoever bothered playing the game after the ending and went to Tumbleweed would've met Sam Freeman, a character also strongly influenced by Bass Reeves:
He actually has more of a role in RDO where you get a lot more cutscenes and bounties with him.

Anyway, I'm extremely surprised someone able to make this video was ever a fan of the original:

I mean, same goes for the 90+% that upvoted it as well I guess. He literally complains about silly-looking costumes. In Watchmen.

this is how you do an "explained" video
some great theories in there

100 pages left. Will be seeing the pilot episode tonight as well!

The first episode was freaking phenomenal!

Regina King is such a badass, I love her 😍

finished the graphic novel

holy shit

you know that thing where the second episode of new shows or new seasons is kind of an exposition heavy slow episode where not much happens and isn't THAT good?

watchmen told those episodes to fuck off. the pacing here is ridiculous, slower though it is from the pilot. i could not be more invested.

Ruth wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:31 pm
finished the graphic novel

holy shit
yeah. the ending is basically half of what makes the GN so fucking masterful. it's one of those things where almost every element is in perfect harmony, yet you don't know HOW in harmony they are until the ending hits and everything beforehand clicks.

-Vader