Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 12:41 am
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 12:30 am
4 billy tho
I honestly don’t get this reference.
if i paid someone four billion dollars for their ip i would not consider it an ethical quandry to not involve them in future projects

September 26th, 2019, 12:13 pm
Allstar wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 12:41 am
September 26th, 2019, 12:30 am
4 billy tho
I honestly don’t get this reference.
if i paid someone four billion dollars for their ip i would not consider it an ethical quandry to not involve them in future projects
Absolutely. You sold it, presumably without terms as to what would be done with it.

Let us not forget that Lucas himself has deliberately suppressed the once-published works of creatives within SW and could do so because he owned it. That it happened to him after 15 years of doing it himself is ironic rather than tragic.

ChristNolan wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:51 am
Iger counters, “”He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars…We’d intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do.”
Bob Iger openly admitting that TFA was almost entirely just a business model rather than a film is as depressing as it is/was obvious.
I couldn’t help but cringe when I read that quote.

Solo, I don’t disagree of course they don’t have to. That doesn’t mean I have to like it or respect how it was handled especially since KK and Lucas are/were great friends...he shouldn’t have been shocked at the point he was.

Allstar wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 1:56 pm
ChristNolan wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:51 am
Iger counters, “”He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars…We’d intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do.”
Bob Iger openly admitting that TFA was almost entirely just a business model rather than a film is as depressing as it is/was obvious.
I couldn’t help but cringe when I read that quote.

Solo, I don’t disagree of course they don’t have to. That doesn’t mean I have to like it or respect how it was handled especially since KK and Lucas are/were great friends...he shouldn’t have been shocked at the point he was.
Thoughts on taking a dead man's film, changing it extensively and taking his credited version off the market?

Does two wrongs make a right? Also a bit different since Lucas is the creator.

Allstar wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 4:12 pm
Don't sell it then

We need less Star Wars, not more. If vanilla ice cream is a special treat that you get to eat only every couple of months with the whole family it remains special. If you eat it every single day, you'll stop thinking of it as special and it's likely to have a detrimental impact on your health in the long run.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 5:42 pm
Allstar wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 4:12 pm
Don't sell it then
I’m not saying he doesn’t have himself to blame if he’s unhappy! I think he’s prob over it now anyway.

Regardless of how any of us feel Iger and KK handled the LFL purchase, I am truly happy they seem to have brought Lucas back on a creative level for TROS. I am really hoping that isn't just a LFL talking point for press.

Specifically, it sounds as though Palpatine was something from Lucas' original treatments they're using now.

-Vader

https://twitter.com/BANGShowbiz/status/ ... 5342560256
"we'll see what happens"

Seems like negotiations have taken a step back a bit on the Rian Johnson trilogy. It seemed like a sure thing when it was announced (granted, it was announced before the release of The Last Jedi) and now it looks like it's up in the air.

Maybe he was just being too careful in what he can say or maybe there really is something to it.