The Irishman (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

After seeing these reviews I am really, honestly sad that I'm not going to see this in the cinema. But I understand that without Netflix the film wasn't going to be made in the first place.
Last edited by DHOPW42 on September 29th, 2019, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyab23 wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 11:56 am
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_irishman

Currently stands at 100% with an 8.94/10 average rating. This is currently the front-runner for Best Picture.
No it’s not. I’m more excited for this but Marriage Story is the front runner.

According to most Oscar pundits, it goes Hollywood then Irishman then Marriage Story.

As I’ve said in other threads, Marriage Story will have to win for simply being a good movie. It doesn’t have an “Oscar Narrative” to help sell it to win, like a sociopolitical message or it’s an auteurs time, etc.

-Vader

Is Hollywood really that likely to win BP?

Scorsese and making great movies.

Name a more iconic duo.

Bacon wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 8:50 pm
Could be. It screened for Academy members and they became so packed they had to add additional screenings. It's a tender elegy for their industry, a love letter for actors (by far the biggest demographic in the academy) and written and directed by one of the 'greats' of his generation who has never won best picture or best director. There's an impression Tarantino "grew up" with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, too. It's a powerful mix.

It's very early days in this race, but if the Oscars were held tomorrow it'd probably win.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Bacon wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 8:50 pm
Could be. It screened for Academy members and they became so packed they had to add additional screenings. It's a tender elegy for their industry, a love letter for actors (by far the biggest demographic in the academy) and written and directed by one of the 'greats' of his generation who has never won best picture or best director. There's an impression Tarantino "grew up" with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, too. It's a powerful mix.

It's very early days in this race, but if the Oscars were held tomorrow it'd probably win.

-Vader
I can see that. I just thought it wouldn't have the same push some of these others might have. I need it to come out on Blu-Ray already because I wanna see it again so badly.