1917 (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

A research screening of Sam Mendes‘ 1917 happened this evening (Wednesday, 9.18) at the AMC Garden State in Paramus, New Jersey, and one guy (whom I know but have had only sporadic contact with) is claiming it’s grade-A and then some. [His remarks are being prepared as we speak.] I’ve also heard from a long-time contact who’s spoken to a friend who’s seen it and raved.

“It’s much better than Dunkirk,” the once-removed guy claims, “and is basically as if the opening battle of Saving Private Ryan was a whole movie. Young British soldiers are trying to relay a message regarding a German ambush, and we follow their mission and race against the clock. It’s not just a gimmick or experience. It actually has character development and first-rate dialogue, and is surprisingly emotional since the soldiers have personal family ties. Elements of irony and dark comedy. It’s filmed like Birdman with long takes hidden and disguised as one shot. Brutally graphic, shocking and bloody, lots of dodging of bombs, hiding in caves. Hard R.
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2019/09/ ... n-dunkirk/

Forum Pro
Law
Allstar wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 11:24 pm
A research screening of Sam Mendes‘ 1917 happened this evening (Wednesday, 9.18) at the AMC Garden State in Paramus, New Jersey, and one guy (whom I know but have had only sporadic contact with) is claiming it’s grade-A and then some. [His remarks are being prepared as we speak.] I’ve also heard from a long-time contact who’s spoken to a friend who’s seen it and raved.

“It’s much better than Dunkirk,” the once-removed guy claims, “and is basically as if the opening battle of Saving Private Ryan was a whole movie. Young British soldiers are trying to relay a message regarding a German ambush, and we follow their mission and race against the clock. It’s not just a gimmick or experience. It actually has character development and first-rate dialogue, and is surprisingly emotional since the soldiers have personal family ties. Elements of irony and dark comedy. It’s filmed like Birdman with long takes hidden and disguised as one shot. Brutally graphic, shocking and bloody, lots of dodging of bombs, hiding in caves. Hard R.
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2019/09/ ... n-dunkirk/
fuck yes

the "it's way better than dunkirk cuz bloody war action" crowd are going to exhaust me so fucking fast

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 12:10 am
the "it's way better than dunkirk cuz bloody war action" crowd are going to exhaust me so fucking fast

-Vader
I had a feeling some were going to get pressed by this post but I did not expect you tbh. lol

Also, it’s difficult to tell from this why exactly they felt it was better. That being said it seems this person was not that high on Dunkirk.

one of the most irritating criticisms of Dunkirk is the lack of graphic violence and audiences refusing to vibe with what nolan's trying to do.

I'm all for rooting 1917 rules, and if it's a better movie than Dunkirk that's marvelous, but it won't be for this reason. but if it is a great movie, it's gunna be cited as the reason all the time.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 12:33 am
one of the most irritating criticisms of Dunkirk is the lack of graphic violence and audiences refusing to vibe with what nolan's trying to do.

I'm all for rooting 1917 rules, and if it's a better movie than Dunkirk that's marvelous, but it won't be for this reason. but if it is a great movie, it's gunna be cited as the reason all the time.

-Vader
Agreed.

Vader182 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 12:10 am

-Vader
The “actually has character development” is already pissing me off.

I'm fully expecting there to be a huge wave of people saying it's better than Dunkirk for the reasons that have already been stated in this forum. I am looking forward to seeing it, though, so it's good to hear some early positive buzz.

It's almost identical to when people started trying to argue The Martian was better than Interstellar.