Mindhunter (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 3:07 am
Vader182 wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 4:00 am
spade wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 2:15 am
Episode 4. Didn't see that coming. Glad to have Dominik back in action.
Just got there myself. This season, so far, is both stronger and weaker than Season 1. I'm not in love with how splintered its focus at first appears. Holden is no longer a main character, and that lack of drive is having some weird consequences on pacing. That said, the individual parts are all extremely strong. Dominik's direction is strong as ever.
I am extremely concerned where that end of episode 4 is going. On the surface, it seems like a real jump the shark moment and hokey as hell.

-Vader
I'm 5 eps in...how is Holden no longer a main character? He's still in it a ton. I'm genuinely baffled by this comment.
You're taking my phrasing more literally than I intended. In Season 1, he was the main character. This season it's a classic ensemble. Holden gets far less screentime, he's much less of a driving force of the action on the plot, and Carr and Tench are the ones really pushing things forward the most. Bill in particular (so far) is close to the season's leading character.

many reviews have noted this, as both positive or negative so

-Vader

Oh I agree it’s more of an ensemble this season but I’d still classify Holden as a main character. I also heard someone say Holden is “barely in it” which has me just scratching my head. I’m all for the ensemble approach, Tench is my fav character.

Ep 5 is a master class of writing/direction. Dominik rises.

Not reading the past few pages but I watched the first episode of season two last night and immediately we are sucked right in. A small character moment that I really liked
Wendy checking out that bartender. Hoping we see more small moments like that. In season one, I really liked the small moments we got with Wendy, like that one scene where she leaves food out for the stray cats in the basement. And Anna Torv is just so wonderful in this role. Easily my favorite character.

It probably feels to some like Holden is 'barely in it' to some since in Season 1 he was the motivating agent of the entire plot and he dominated most conversations in interrogations and in real life. Here, he's extremely quiet, reserved, even submissive at times. he's ancillary to the main drives this season. Unlike Tench and Carr, we spend almost no time with his personal life. His internal arc is hardly getting any attention (so far). He's definitely the least focused on of the three leads right now.

There are obvious story reasons why this is the case, but they're definitely pushing this to an extreme.

-Vader

I don’t disagree but I’ve seen shows do this before with a “protagonist” in earlier seasons so I was not shocked and just went with it organically. The reason we spend no time with his personal life this season is because it is implied he literally doesn’t have one...for obvious reasons.

On the last episode.

I honestly enjoyed how Ford isn't the "main character" this season.

I liked the irony of how Tench and Carr are told to basically babysit Ford at the start of the season, and yet throughout the season we focus on their lives and see that they are perhaps more distracted from their job than Ford is. They are also often forced to draw comparisons and parallels between their own lives and the cases they work with.

Meanwhile, Ford has essentially no personal life, but he is almost wholly consumed by the Atlanta case. I'm glad the panic attack trope wasn't carried over to the end, and I think it's a sign of how we see a slightly grown/different Ford this season. You'd think the story would be all about how much more unhinged he's become, but I liked that went they other way.

First episode of season 2!

Holy shit...
...new director is siiiick. 8-) :clap:
Love this series so much.

Episode three made me research Mallomars and now I gotta wait until next month when they're in season.

I bought a pack of moon pies today though.

Having finished the second season and after seeing OUATIH, I wanna do some research on the Manson killings. Cults are fascinating and beyond creepy.
I also watched a video about BTK and the mask is just too fucking creepy.

Overall, I enjoyed this season but at the same time I think the finale wasn’t as strong as the first season.
Maybe because the Atlanta case ended in an anticlimactic way in real life. Wendy was extremely harsh on that girl. What she said to her was so mean. Nancy was annoying as hell.