True Detective (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I still like season 2, but the ending comes across as if it was a commentary about Pizzaface's spite for critics. Like, it seems like he exerted a lot of editorial authority in a way, so the ending just feels out of place in its cynicism.

I actually liked that ending. I haven't read any of the posts here yet but here are my thoughts
I think then ending ties into a lot of what this season is about: memory. Specifically recreating memory. Isabel wanted so badly to recreate Mary and to even have new memories of Mary that she did what she could to achieve that. I get why people think this ending is underwhelming, but I think it is a very hauntingly beautiful ending. And I like how it wasn't some evil pedophile ring ending or nefarious shit like that. I think we're so used to seeing fucked up endings that people can't really appreciate something that is simple and sad. I think oftentimes the most horrific endings are endings like this one. A woman unable to cope with grief molds someone else's child into a child of her own. Never moving on, stuck in a memory, and no intention of wanting to be better.

honestly the only think that matters to me at the moment is that
Roland was still part of the picture in Wayne’s life at the end. I would’ve died if something had driven them apart once and for all again

... but I already died when I saw Roland petting the poor stray doggo, so thanks for pizza daddy for sparing my poor heart because i wouldn’t have been able to take it
Great season, imo. I kind of want to rewatch the first one to see how it compares now, because I thought I prioritized that one and maybe I still do, but man, this is some really good stuff. The ending, regardless, felt really tranquil and bittersweet, and I’m satisfied, even if I’m equally as sad. There’s more to ponder about but instead of doing so I spent time to reply to random condescending pms instead so whatever lol

Sysmatic wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Give Dorff a fucking Emmy for this season. That scene got me

The finale is good, but didn't nail its landing for me.

In Season 1, the case / characters/ themes blended together in a rare way. The ritualistic and occult crimes spoke to Rust's worldview, which in turn sparked off Marty, and together they reacted to grand conspiracies. It worked.

In Season 3, the case turns out to be a mostly a (thin) clothesline to hang the themes of time and domestic life onto, which varied in success episode to episode.

And in the finale, the show frankly lacked the visual gravitas and Mood necessary to match the lofty metaphysics and operatic emotion of the story's ambitions.

for instance,
The case's entire explanation is delivered through a 7 minute exposition dump and a very "TV" montage. It felt oddly inert, especially compared to the cinematic editing and visuals of Sharp Objects. I get it's meant to be an anti-climax, but so much work facilitates a conclusion almost all viewers guessed around episode 2 or 3.

I will say, though, that Purple blanking upon discovering the truth, only to remember it, only to seemingly forget it again, in peace, is perfect.
All around i'd give the whole season something in the 8.5 range, it's very very good but nowhere near the highs of Season 1.

-Vader

Sounds like season 3 didn't have the lows of season 1 either...like that stupid and underwhelming ending and the fact that people were much more interested in theories about stuff that DIDN'T end up in the show than what was actually being presented on-screen.

I don’t know what everyone’s problem is with season one’s finale. It’s beautiful and haunting.

Vader182 wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 1:47 am
The case's entire explanation is delivered through a 7 minute exposition dump and a very "TV" montage. It felt oddly inert, especially compared to the cinematic editing and visuals of Sharp Objects. I get it's meant to be an anti-climax, but so much work facilitates a conclusion almost all viewers guessed around episode 2 or 3.

I will say, though, that Purple blanking upon discovering the truth, only to remember it, only to seemingly forget it again, in peace, is perfect.

-Vader
Pretty much sums up exactly how I felt. I’m surprised I haven’t heard more complaints on the way the reveal happened. It felt cheap and even the direction felt by the numbers.

Rewatching a bit of season one.

Guys, who is the Marty Hart to your Rust Cohle on this forum?

Artemis wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 2:55 pm

Guys, who is the Marty Hart to your Rust Cohle on this forum?
that i don’t know, but what i do know is that skyab and geoffrey have definitely originated from carcosa