Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
lol @Vader182, tempting to give it a go. I want to see what's the fuss lol

Recently saw the first one again, still so good.

Vader182 wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 11:24 pm
guys holy fucking balls what was this movie

like really, what is it

I'm in shock of how this was greenlit, this is one stylishly incoherent movie

it doesn't even have "acts" things just happen in a herky jerky random chaotic manner for two hours without a lot connecting them and half the big decisions don't make sense sense. Nothing is developed. It's just bad.

The actual filmmaking saves a lot of the movie, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

-Vader
Just saw it, what was this

Where the first film was a well-oiled, tightly edited thriller. This film is like someone took every major talking point from Fox News and made it a movie.

What makes the original special is how much restraint D-Ville uses. And I think that's why this film feels like it has zero tension. I just remember explosions and gunfire and Muslims and Mexicans are bad and they're in cahoots and that's about it.

Music sounds like someone listened to JoJo's score for about a minute and asked Hildur Guðnadóttir "so can you sorta do something like that?"

Color grading is orange-ish to make it so that I guess some people will say "okay at least it mildly looks like the original".

Ending sucks, feels like it was shoehorned in.

pointless/10

Cilogy wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 10:36 am
Where the first film was a well-oiled, tightly edited thriller. This film is like someone took every major talking point from Fox News and made it a movie.

What makes the original special is how much restraint D-Ville uses. And I think that's why this film feels like it has zero tension. I just remember explosions and gunfire and Muslims and Mexicans are bad and they're in cahoots and that's about it.

Music sounds like someone listened to JoJo's score for about a minute and asked Hildur Guðnadóttir "so can you sorta do something like that?"

Color grading is orange-ish to make it so that I guess some people will say "okay at least it mildly looks like the original".

pointless/10
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16820&start=40#p1152291

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 10:40 am
Cilogy wrote:

pointless/10
well, you were right

dammit keith, how the fuck does it feel to be so right?

no really, how does it feel, I wanna feel the same

Cilogy wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 11:46 am
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 10:40 am
Cilogy wrote:

pointless/10
well, you were right

dammit keith, how the fuck does it feel to be so right?

no really, how does it feel, I wanna feel the same
i do want to underline that when it comes to gauging a films quality my word should be taken as gospel by everyone. however i will never feel what its like to be a sucessful crossover suv-owning doctor so i'd call us bout even

lol fair enough

worse probably than the fact this is barely a movie is that it stokes a lot of non-existent far-right wing border / terrorism fears in highly problematic ways

-Vader

This movie is significantly better than the original. The original is less a thriller and more a trite and vapid character study with far less to say than it thinks it has. "'They break the rules but she's not down with it!' The Movie". Emily Blunt's character was so unoriginal and stagnant that I had no interest in the story. She's almost a blank slate for the audience to vicariously live through and empathize with, not an actual character. For this sequel, they went in the opposite direction and focused on the best part of the original, Brolin's and Del Toro's characters. The convoy ambush is more intense than any part of the first. It obviously has many flaws, including the ending, but it's a decent movie and an improvement over its predecessor.

hahahahaha

-Vader