The Batman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Geoffrey wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 1:45 pm
Old movies also suffer from a lack of conventional color grading. Color grading has almost become part of the grammar and expectations of movies so far, so that if you deviate from it, it looks cheap or old.
he read while walking off the cliff

-Vader

anikom15 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 11:45 am
Geoffrey wrote:
Rogue One looks great when it can, but is hampered by the CGI that consumes the movie as it progresses. It starts to become blurry and smudgy, unrealistic. The opening in the field looks fantastic. I don't know if Rogue One overall looks the best though. The Empire Strikes Back has great cinematography too, especially the fight between Luke and Vader. Old movies also suffer from a lack of conventional color grading. Color grading has almost become part of the grammar and expectations of movies so far, so that if you deviate from it, it looks cheap or old.
Color grading makes movies look fake.
movies literally are fake

Nomis wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 4:26 am
what you mean
i think when people look back at the visual trends of this decade a lot of it will stem from to the work that he's doing

Nistopher Colon wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 1:04 pm
anikom15 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
Rogue One looks great when it can, but is hampered by the CGI that consumes the movie as it progresses. It starts to become blurry and smudgy, unrealistic. The opening in the field looks fantastic. I don't know if Rogue One overall looks the best though. The Empire Strikes Back has great cinematography too, especially the fight between Luke and Vader. Old movies also suffer from a lack of conventional color grading. Color grading has almost become part of the grammar and expectations of movies so far, so that if you deviate from it, it looks cheap or old.
And? The best movies are the ones that reflect real life.

anikom15 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 10:14 pm
Nistopher Colon wrote:
anikom15 wrote:

ikr? 2001 is literally my daily routine

Nistopher Colon wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 10:18 pm
anikom15 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 10:14 pm
Nistopher Colon wrote:

ikr? 2001 is literally my daily routine
2001 has themes that move us regardless of where we are in society, without unnecessary postmodern drivel.

Vader182 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 11:59 am
Geoffrey wrote:
Old movies also suffer from a lack of conventional color grading. Color grading has almost become part of the grammar and expectations of movies so far, so that if you deviate from it, it looks cheap or old.

-Vader
Sure, it's matter of opinion. But if you took a film like The Dark Knight or Blade Runner 2049 and removed its color, it would look bizarre. When the blue tinge of Gordon's fakeout death was reduced in the home release, people lost their shit. This demonstrates how effective color grading can be. They go too far by the end, though.

Geoffrey wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 12:14 am
Vader182 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:

-Vader
Sure, it's matter of opinion. But if you took a film like The Dark Knight or Blade Runner 2049 and removed its color, it would look bizarre. When the blue tinge of Gordon's fakeout death was reduced in the home release, people lost their shit. This demonstrates how effective color grading can be. They go too far by the end, though.
Roger Deakins wrote:I try to get as close as I can to the final look of a shot as I am shooting. What I can change in post is irrelevant unless there is a specific problem.
Color grading only showed up in the early 2000's but color timing has been around for some time. Some productions that shoot film still choose to do that instead of a DI, like the dark knight.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 6:05 pm
Nomis wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 4:26 am
what you mean
i think when people look back at the visual trends of this decade a lot of it will stem from to the work that he's doing
okay

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 2:12 am
Geoffrey wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 12:14 am
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Roger Deakins wrote:I try to get as close as I can to the final look of a shot as I am shooting. What I can change in post is irrelevant unless there is a specific problem.
Color grading only showed up in the early 2000's but color timing has been around for some time. Some productions that shoot film still choose to do that instead of a DI, like the dark knight.
Finally, some intelligence.