Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Honestly, I think Tarantino would be happy if there was more major discussion about feet from this movie.

So this was really good. A bit long and meandering for my taste (it’s definitely Tarantino’s slowest film IMO) but man those last 30 minutes are something quite special. My whole theater was hollering.

Yeah last 30 minutes were great. My theater loved it too.

I enjoyed it overall. Feel a more like a collage of a period of time than a narrative film. Would have liked more Robbie though.
The ending was beautifully done. Nice to know Tate lives on in some alternate universe.

How is Damien Lewis?

Master Virgo wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 10:03 pm
How is Damien Lewis?
He was barely in it

Artemis wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 10:08 pm
He was barely in it
that's what she said

Master Virgo wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 10:03 pm
How is Damien Lewis?
He’s good, I guess? With what little is given to him.
when I say the film was “meandering” the part with him is one of the sections I’m referring to. It just seems, unnecessary

Really liked it but minor Tarantino for me

Pitt has the funniest scenes, but Leo impressed me more with his arc. The character work in this is exquisite

Had no problem with the pacing in general, but the references overload was a bit much (Pacino’s scene for example) The hangout vibe really makes this film similar to Jackie Brown. Also felt really mature wiser Tarantino

The soundtrack left me cold. It’s probably the least memorable in his films

The ending
had terrific stuff in it, but Inglourious-Basterding it just didn’t sur well with me. Lazy choice in a film that had nothing of the kind before it

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 10:28 pm
Pitt has the funniest scenes, but Leo impressed me more with his arc. The character work in this is exquisite
This is how I felt. I empathized with Rick more and found his arc more satisfying but Pitt had me laughing so hard especially in intense moments towards the end. Though...
Leo with the martini confronting the Manson family and the flame thrower explanation to Jay at the end was hysterical.
The ending,
I really liked it even if I wasn’t surprised. Quentin going for an upbeat, sweet and positive ending (the total opposite of his last film) with Rick befriending Sharon makes you feel so optimistic for both of them. Sharon gets to live happily ever after like a true fairy tale (Once Upon a time...) and maybe Rick will make a better career for himself. It’s beautiful.
Pitt and Leo are superb, it’s a top 3 Pitt role for me. But Margot does a lot with what she’s given.

So, on a scale of a pair of feet to Death Proof, how much would you give this movie? Also how is Margot?