The End of Trumpocalypse: TBD!

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
I love how people go 'oh these guys are all spewing left-wing talking points all of a sudden, that must mean that they all totally mean it and that they're all totally better than the guy who has been saying these things for the last 40 years when they were considered fringe policy positions in the US'.

I do not trust the likes of Harris, Yang, Gabbard and Booker. Elizabeth Warren has at least been openly addressing income inequality and been taking on Wall Street for a while now so she's a lot more believable than some of these other guys.

Batfan175 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 10:15 am
I love how people go 'oh these guys are all spewing left-wing talking points all of a sudden, that must mean that they all totally mean it and that they're all totally better than the guy who has been saying these things for the last 40 years when they were considered fringe policy positions in the US'.

I do not trust the likes of Harris, Yang, Gabbard and Booker. Elizabeth Warren has at least been openly addressing income inequality and been taking on Wall Street for a while now so she's a lot more believable than some of these other guys.
no one cares bro

Artemis wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 10:17 am
Batfan175 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 10:15 am

no one cares bro
I bet millions of Americans actually care very much about who will be the candidate of one of the two major political parties.

You're not as smart as you think you are

Master Virgo wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 10:04 am
Just a reminder that this is the guy you are arguing with regarding the best democratic nominee.

Geoffrey wrote:
August 21st, 2017, 7:46 am
No, slavery was not always perceived as "wrong". If you Virgo were raised in the 1500s, I bet you'd agree with slavery, because that was just what people learned to think. Slaves were thought of like farm animals today, as inferior to humans and tools for production. Slavery was the norm for centuries and centuries, and unless you were some sort of humanitarian philosopher, you were unlikely to have thought otherwise. Up until recently most people have been prejudiced towards homosexuals, does that mean everyone up until the 20th century was a monstrosity? No.

Obviously by the time of the Confederacy it was more commonplace to think of slavery as wrong, but is it such an issue that century old statues part of history must be torn down? No.

This is really silly, but if Osama Bin Laden was a terrorist from centuries ago who blew people up while terrorism was the norm, led a rebellion when terrorism was outlawed, and then had a statue built for him later down the line after his rebellion failed, I wouldn't look gleefully at the statue, but I wouldn't demand it's removal. It'd just be history to me.
What he wrote in defense of James Woods.

Harris is the one they are targeting now, because suddenly she seems like quite a threat.
What's wrong with any of what I said there? You must be confused. You're like the cliched psychology student who thinks nothing in the book applies to them. Just because you've been conditioned to think slavery is bad today doesn't mean you would have the same privelage hundreds or thousands of years ago. That comment also wasn't in defense of James Woods, it was in defense of innocuous statues erected up to a hundred years ago that people continue to demolish or remove.

It's pretty sad that you thought this was such a zinger that it was worth you having to dig through my history to post it. Was it worth it?

I question who "they" is that you seem to lump me in. I'm not stupid enough to identify as either a Republican or a Democrat. Not everyone is a conformist sheep that feels the need to join one side and bash the other. If I wanted to "defeat" Kamala, arguing on Nolan Fans is absolutely not the way I'd go about it.

It stands though that she gave the most disingenuous attack against any candidate. Forced busing was not a right-versus-wrong issue as Kamala pretends it was. A large percentage of blacks did not support it either. By her logic, they must also be flawed individuals, because apparently Biden is.

I'm actually surprised DNC didn't ask Joe and some other candidates to back down for the greater good.

When you spew horrible bullshit like "believing in the rightfulness of slavery, let alone defending it to the point of killing people for it, doesn't make you a monstrosity, and isn't a big enough problem to prevent your memorial statue from standing in the public space", you are automatically disqualified to be taken seriously in an argument. I'm just trying to make people aware of who you really are, in case they have missed it. To save them some time, you see.

Nothing about my comment itself is horrible. You can keep digging, but you won't find anything. Slavery is horrible. What's not horrible is the idea that you absolutely can not grade people by today's standards, or if you want to, go ahead—as long as it doesn't result in the destruction of historically significant art. You know that the majority of politicians before this century didn't support gay rights? Including Hillary Clinton. Now that she has had the opportunity to live long enough that we're in a culture that collectively does support gay rights, she now does too. Context molds a lot of what you may chalk up to character. In a millennium, people might be abhored by how we mercilessly abused animals in factory farms. Does that mean every farmer or person who consumed meat is irredeemable? No.

None of the debate moderators pressed the candidates on their foreign policy. I don’t think foreign policy should be taken lightly when people all over the world are impacted by US wars, US-led harsh economic sanctions, drone strikes, the US weapon industry and proxy battles. I’ll never understand how the US can be the largest military empire in human history with hundreds of military bases around the world but Americans can still be obsessed with weakness. There should 100% be more scrutiny on candidates’ foreign policy.

Bernie Sander is not perfect but he is the most anti-imperialistic candidate. He is lightyears ahead of anyone else on foreign policy - Warren actually has a horrendous foreign policy compared to Sanders. Elizabeth Warren has voted for all three of Donald Trump’s insane military budget. Sanders has not. Warren supports sanctions in Venezuela, which are estimated to have killed 40k people. Sanders opposes the sanctions. Sanders was the only member of the democratic caucus to vote against the Iran sanction package. Everyone else voted for it, undermining the Iran deal. Warren has supported every military funding that Israel has demanded. Sanders wants to end funding to Israel if he becomes president. Warren has said Palestinian babies constitute a “demographic threat” to Israel’s Jewish majority - this is literally mimicking white nationalist language in defence of an ethnostate. Presidential candidates even remotely critical of Israel was uncharted territory before Sanders. Sanders led the effort to pass a resolution to end US support for the Saudi genocide in Yemen.

I hope Bernie Sanders can win the nomination. Sanders is the literally the only candidate willing to challenge the status quo of American imperialism and the best hope for a sane foreign policy.

cooldude wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 4:22 pm
None of the debate moderators pressed the candidates on their foreign policy. I don’t think foreign policy should be taken lightly when people all over the world are impacted by US wars, US-led harsh economic sanctions, drone strikes, the US weapon industry and proxy battles. I’ll never understand how the US can be the largest military empire in human history with hundreds of military bases around the world but Americans can still be obsessed with weakness. There should 100% be more scrutiny on candidates’ foreign policy.

Bernie Sander is not perfect but he is the most anti-imperialistic candidate. He is lightyears ahead of anyone else on foreign policy - Warren actually has a horrendous foreign policy compared to Sanders. Elizabeth Warren has voted for all three of Donald Trump’s insane military budget. Sanders has not. Warren supports sanctions in Venezuela, which are estimated to have killed 40k people. Sanders opposes the sanctions. Sanders was the only member of the democratic caucus to vote against the Iran sanction package. Everyone else voted for it, undermining the Iran deal. Warren has supported every military funding that Israel has demanded. Sanders wants to end funding to Israel if he becomes president. Warren has said Palestinian babies constitute a “demographic threat” to Israel’s Jewish majority - this is literally mimicking white nationalist language in defence of an ethnostate. Presidential candidates even remotely critical of Israel was uncharted territory before Sanders. Sanders led the effort to pass a resolution to end US support for the Saudi genocide in Yemen.

I hope Bernie Sanders can win the nomination. Sanders is the literally the only candidate willing to challenge the status quo of American imperialism and the best hope for a sane foreign policy.
Elizabeth Warren has indeed a terrible foreign policy stance, and I agree that Sanders is the best candidate in this area.