The End of Trumpocalypse: TBD!

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
The first Democratic debate happened last night and imo, the candidates that performed the best were Warren, Booker, DeBlasio. Overall, you could sense the shift of the party to the left at least in rhetoric, which didn't work out so well for candidates that are either superficial or do not have a set of policy proposals.

Gabbard overall is just very questionable with regards to a lot of her policy positions and her past comments on things like torture, etc. and duing the debate she came off as rather bland and uninspiring. Klobuschar and Delaney are to the right of all the other candidates, Tim Ryan kinda got humiliated on foreign policy and the others just faded into the background most of the time, despite Inslee's one-issue campaign. Beto kinda seemed like he was done because he seemed really nervous and generally looked like a guy who would probably be much more at ease running for a Senate seat in Texas.

I have a feeling either Warren or Sanders is going to be the Democratic candidate

When do they have to choose again?

Nomis wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 11:21 am
I have a feeling either Warren or Sanders is going to be the Democratic candidate

They don't choose in one day, and that's part of the problem for the democratic party, it's a long show all over the first half of 2020. There's going to be alliances, violent debates... and the republicans are just going to be eating popcorn... Since WW2, Bush Sr is the only republican who wasn't reelected. And many democrats have also been elected twice. There is a tendency to reelect the previous president, and that long campaign to face the previous president doesn't seem to help.
Another issue with the system is that it gives some State like Iowa a very strong influence. It's nice because politicians really get to meet people from all over the country, but it also has a lot of issues.

Elizabeth Warren gave a very mediocre audition, but is being buoyed by bias and pre-debate popularity. Cory Booker, by far, commanded the most attention out of anyone. Bill De Blasio outperformed. Julian Castro has been overrated by many. Like Amy Klobuchar, his charisma and presence is lacking and un-presidential. He and she have no chance. Tulsi Gabbard spoke the slowest, stammered the most, and struck me as the least intelligent, like her neurons fired at half-speed. I'm amazed she went up so much after the debate.
Last edited by Geoffrey on June 27th, 2019, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demoph wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 12:45 pm
Nomis wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 11:21 am

They don't choose in one day, and that's part of the problem for the democratic party, it's a long show all over the first half of 2020. There's going to be alliances, violent debates... and the republicans are just going to be eating popcorn... Since WW2, Bush Sr is the only republican who wasn't reelected. And many democrats have also been elected twice. There is a tendency to reelect the previous president, and that long campaign to face the previous president doesn't seem to help.
Another issue with the system is that it gives some State like Iowa a very strong influence. It's nice because politicians really get to meet people from all over the country, but it also has a lot of issues.
Yeah I know it's a long hurdle I was just hoping it would be relatively soon... I just really want to know who'll have to take on Current Potus

Lol Biden's going up in flames live on tv. Kamala Harris is walking away with this debate. Bernie did ok, didn't help himself too much but did not hurt himself either.

problem with Warren and Sanders is they’ll split the progressive vote

so we’re doomed

-Vader

How? Only one of them will be democratic candidate right?

Go Kamala

Pratham wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 2:41 am
How? Only one of them will be democratic candidate right?
yeah but the dems are divided enough to not vote for a candidate they don’t support, ultimately giving trump the upper hand, some may even vote “against”

i think it’s dumb as hell, these are the situations where picking the lesser evil should absolutely be the most logical conclusion, alas it rarely happens

or did i misunderstand this?