Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:46 am
Dany also kind of forgot about The Iron Fleet. You forgot to mention that.
You kinda forgot that the Inside the Episode stuff is at best PR material to promote the show, not detailed analysis of the content of the show.

Batfan175 wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 1:18 pm
Allstar wrote:
You kinda forgot that the Inside the Episode stuff is at best PR material to promote the show, not detailed analysis of the content of the show.
that sentence wasn't so much self-promotion as it was self-destruction though

For real though, I think Sapochnik has made some pretty good points as to what he wanted to do with "The Last of the Starks" since he initially wanted to direct that episode too.

I mean on one hand it's great that the show was able to become so large it would've been logistically impossible to have only one or two directors for an entire season but on the other hand it's a pity it couldn't, too. Imagine half a season or an entire season directed just by Sapochnik. I would love to see him tackle an HBO mini-series or something.

Nistopher Colon wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 1:37 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 1:18 pm
Allstar wrote:
that sentence wasn't so much self-promotion as it was self-destruction though
If people engage with it in bad faith, as they have done, then sure. That's another thing people kinda forgot.

^ As bad faith as you engage in with Disney movies?

You’re such a blind apologist. Do you have any criticisms with the final season? :lol:

Allstar wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 8:00 pm

You’re such a blind apologist. Do you have any criticisms with the final season? :lol:
Probably too few episodes.

His act is getting sad now :lol:

batfan every time he goes on yet another one of his essay adventures

Marvel and GoT are doing such different things that I don't see the contradiction in loving one and being bored by the other.
Ruth wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 8:21 pm
batfan every time he goes on yet another one of his essay adventures
Nice gif, but that's what's most fun about writing though. To discover and structure constantly at the same time.

Allstar wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 8:00 pm

I make no secret of what I like and dislike about the art I engage with. I like a lot of Disney films (the 1981 French dub of Sleeping Beauty is my favourite animated feature film of theirs) and many of them are just fine. That does not change the fact that they are not aiming high in what they are trying to say and what they end up saying. They are reassuring, mediocre junk food and on that level they can be fun but not Every.Single.Day.

As far as criticisms of the final season go, I liked it a lot and it was a very ambitious story overall. I felt the season was actually made up of two episodes split up into 3 episodes each (Ice and Fire). The set-up episodes (episodes 1 and 4) were the least interesting to me because of the thematic weight that was lacking throughout both these episodes. Some of the dialogue is rather blunt and obvious but that's ok because I know that the show is conveying the story through a lot of other elements besides the dialogue and the plot (actor's facial expressions, music, editing, lighting, costuming, etc.) so I get a lot of out this show by engaging with it as a visual medium made from all these elements. But if people are looking at the plot and the character development as expressed through the dialogue, they might be disappointed.

The pacing of the season was rather fast but not so much that it was distracting or taking me out of the story. While some of the plot elements were rather convenient, they also served a thematic purpose. For example, Euron killing the dragon when he does comes out of nowhere but thematically it means that Dany does not get to justify her monstrous decision later...because the show does not think actions like this can be justified ever.

In terms of the characters, I thought it made sense that Jaime was flirting with redemption but never actually fully got there because a) he's done terrible stuff that the story will not justify, b) he himself does not think he deserves a happy ending because of it and c) like an addict he goes right back to what he knows is bad for him. His redemption is that he gets to realize that he's a terrible person who inflicted a lot of suffering on others, whereas he might have previously seen himself as some kind of misunderstood anti-hero. It makes sense that Tyrion, whose family constantly accused him of wanting to murder them, goes out of his way to give his sister so many chances to survive (so often that it's a bad joke) and yet he ends up being responsible for the deaths of his mother, father and his siblings (albeit the last one indirectly) anyway. He's not stupid, he just wanted to avoid being what his sister always said he was, and in so doing, he ended up making lots of poor strategic and political decisions and was partly responsible for her demise anyway. It makes sense that the person seeking power throughout the entire story (Dany) ends up being turned into something else than the viewers might have thought initially but which was just underneath the surface the entire time. It makes sense why Arya would choose life over death, etc. I had very little issues with the journeys and destinations of these and other characters.

I'm sorry, I thought the story was ambitious and epic and I'm glad the show exists.
Last edited by Batfan175 on June 26th, 2019, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.