What Was the Last Episode of TV You Watched

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
CaviezelReese wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 12:22 am
S1 Person of Interest episodes 18-19
First time or again?

Nomis wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 8:26 am
I just loved Hinds as Caesar. Walker owns the screen too imo. It's just such a great cast and I love the aesthetic of the show. I know it won't happen but I would just love it if HBO would revive it.
They really are great. And so is Menzies as Brutus, although he doesn’t have nearly the same amount of screen time, he sells the emotion of his character (whether that’s historically accurate, i dun care). *That* scene was amazing, and you know it worked when you find yourself watching a reenactment of a 2k year old murder and are still lowkey hoping Brutus drops the knife and leaves the scene lmao.

You mean a Deadwood-style movie revival? Just imagine if this show was made today, with the kind of knowledge and experience HBO had gained while making this in the first place. Yum. Shit, I just remembered I haven’t seen Deadwood either. Looks like this summer is going to be a full blown HBO fest for me lol.

poplar wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 6:36 am
CaviezelReese wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 12:22 am
S1 Person of Interest episodes 18-19
First time or again?
Again!

Ruth wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 8:51 am
Nomis wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 8:26 am
I just loved Hinds as Caesar. Walker owns the screen too imo. It's just such a great cast and I love the aesthetic of the show. I know it won't happen but I would just love it if HBO would revive it.
They really are great. And so is Menzies as Brutus, although he doesn’t have nearly the same amount of screen time, he sells the emotion of his character (whether that’s historically accurate, i dun care). *That* scene was amazing, and you know it worked when you find yourself watching a reenactment of a 2k year old murder and are still lowkey hoping Brutus drops the knife and leaves the scene lmao.

You mean a Deadwood-style movie revival? Just imagine if this show was made today, with the kind of knowledge and experience HBO had gained while making this in the first place. Yum. Shit, I just remembered I haven’t seen Deadwood either. Looks like this summer is going to be a full blown HBO fest for me lol.
Menzies is indeed pretty fantastic as Brutus! He's a very versatile actor. That scene was still mighty tense even though we all know what happens.

Deadwood-style revival I guess? I still haven't given Deadwood a proper chance and I'll only watch the film when I've seen the show lol anyway, it would be pretty great if they'd make a new mini-series of Rome or something. I would love that. Perhaps a different setting?

Has anybody seen the BBC's Hercule Poirot with David Suchet? I just rewatched for the I-ve-stopped-counting-a-long-time-ago time Five little pigs. It's TV but it's still may very well be my favourite whodunnit. With the music of Erik Satie, the ending never fails to bring a tear to my eye. Evil under the sun is another great episode, in a very different style.
Also Evil under the sun, like a few other episodes, is written by Anthony Horowitz, one of my favourite writers.

Demoph wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 4:50 pm
Has anybody seen the BBC's Hercule Poirot with David Suchet? I just rewatched for the I-ve-stopped-counting-a-long-time-ago time Five little pigs. It's TV but it's still may very well be my favourite whodunnit. With the music of Erik Satie, the ending never fails to bring a tear to my eye. Evil under the sun is another great episode, in a very different style.
Also Evil under the sun, like a few other episodes, is written by Anthony Horowitz, one of my favourite writers.
David Suchet is the ONLY actor who embodies Hercule Poirot imo. Any other version pales in comparison. My favourite episode was always the ABC Murders.

I recently watched episode 1 of Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? (= How Heavy are the Dumbbells you lift?). It was quite enjoyable. While I have not read the manga prior to watching this, I have been going to the gym 3 times a week for the past 4 years and so I was naturally intrigued by an anime that decided to focus on women's fitness/bodybuilding, which seems to make this quite a singular show. The jokes are funny, the characters seem like a lot of fun, the voice acting is excellent and the animation's quite good.
Last edited by Ruth on July 7th, 2019, 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: double posting

Barry Season 2 Episodes 4 & 5: Fuuuuuuuck. Man.

Demoph wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 4:50 pm
I love Suchet's Poirot. Horowitz is pretty great too.

Vinland Saga episode 1. This feels like something special, the kind of special that does not come around that often. And about vikings of all people. Makes me want to buy the manga tbh. The opening song alone is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ARLefmWaGQ

I know Berserk, Vagabond and Vinland Saga exist in this seinen space of epic that people rarely see and an animated historical drama about vikings is exactly something I never knew I needed. From what I can gather this is shaping up to be a real tragedy and when those are well done they can stay with you forever.

Okay wow, life got in the way and I forgot to check back in, but earlier... last week I finished Rome’s Season 2. I overall love this show and feel like I’ll certainly be revisiting it again later, but man, you can tell they rushed the crap out of the second one. It’s obviously miles better than leaving a very abrupt open ending, but the show laid down the groundwork for so much stuff and never following through with that makes the season feel very cluttered. The pacing is obviously all over the place, but considering how much of the show the creators seemingly had planned out ahead, it’s very admirable how they ultimately managed to pull it off.

There are quite a few completely unnecessary subplots involved (the jewish one especially comes into mind as it over-convolutes the story even further and ends up serving no purpose in the grand scheme of things), lots of unnecessary drama that feels cheap and unearned (the whole random “love” triangle between pullo, his wife and some random evil chick). The season just overall doesn’t feel as interesting as I found the first one to be. It skims through so many things and focuses on things that maybe didn't need to be focused on. So I don't know how much of that can even be attributed to the creators, knowing how much of that could've been out of their control at that point, given their ultimate vision was unfulfilled (and how much of the season was still absolutely kickass), but the first season has a much more grounded feel of a complete journey, with a beginning and a culmination, while the second season gallops through the events without really knowing where it wants to finish. I liked it, but it certainly left me with way more conflicted feelings.

The whole Octavian and Antony clash was obviously the big draw of the season, with the stark differences of their personalities being highlighted by brilliant performances, but even that wasn't without certain faults. Maybe that's a personal thing, but I found it hard to get used to the actor change for Octavian for a bit. The acting is great, but the change is random, and you feel like you're watching two different people, so it's difficult to reconcile the two.

Reflecting on this, I love the showcase of moral degradation of the characters here, but when I was watching it, I was honestly kind of surprised by the lack of sympathy I felt for Antony and (especially) Cleopatra's impending doom. Of course you feel sad after the deed is done, but Cleopatra is such a scummy person here (in a show chockfull of scummy people) that it's hard to feel anything for her, and so underwritten, that she feels less of a person of her own right, and more a device to help put an end to Antony's arc. Antony, on the other hand, while being a class A douche of his own accord, comes across as a flawed, perplexing figure, equally worthy of your irritation and compassion, especially when contrasted with the master scum of the season, Octavian.

So yeah. It's an imperfect season. It's still very cool and has some of the coolest sequences of the show (a certain character calling another "for justice" is one of the most memorable scenes I've seen in a long while), and combined with the first season, it's an amazing show. I'm almost a little butthurt that this was dealt such an unfair hand. Imagine if this was done in 2019, somehow magically retaining the same cast. Whew. Rome walked so Game of Thrones could run lmao