Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 6:36 pm
Damn this was even better than Get Out, possibly the best horror movie of the decade
Are you trying to act like the general consensus on Us isn't that it was fantastic?

Master Virgo wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 5:49 am
Are you trying to act like the general consensus on Us isn't that it was fantastic?

Hereditary has it at 64% and The VVitch at 57%. You will forgive me if my opinion doesn't align with the notoriously broken RT audience scores with 8000 ratings lmao.

"Yeah I thought this movie was pretty good"

"BuT RoTTeN ToMaToEs SaYs iT's bAd"

I do think Rotten Tomatoes can be used as a tool to see if you want to see a movie or not (like if a movie is badly reviewed but the reviews highlight the dumb fight scenes, that might motivate someone to see the movie if they like that) but I don't think I like how people bring up RT when someone talks about their own personal opinion.

*deep breath*

rotten tomatoes, metacritic and imdb are all data. like any data set, you can question its validity, reliability, and how useful it is depends how you choose to interpret and apply it (IE, normies hate "prestige horror" so they bomb the ratings usually). But in this case, they are *all* predictive of whether or not you'll like a movie--we all agree with these three metrics more than we don't, probably 70-80% with consensus person to person. If any one of us disagrees with RT/Metacritic/IMDB more than 20-30% of the time I'd love a list of examples.

I would also certainly argue a movie is a "success" or maybe even "good" in a broader sense if it wins over most of its intended audience in artistic and financial terms, regardless whether or not I personally connected to it. IE, it wanted to do a thing and it did that thing.

These tools are not substitutes for actual art criticism, as is vital in any artistic discipline. They are also not designed to "tell" anyone whether or not they will like a movie. this is all pretty obvious stuff, guys.

thank u 4 coming 2 my ted talk

-Vader

But what I'm saying is if you disagree with something someone says about a film, your first response shouldn't be to bring up RT scores. It does inhibit conversation. In this case I can understand why it was brought up because Virgo was making a claim about the general audiences.

I do like that RT is now having audiences verify their tickets before actually rating the movie so that will help improve the data a lot more.

I just wish RT would be used in the way I mentioned in my post. It can be a useful tool in a lot of ways but it gets brought up a lot online in very contradictory ways.

Franchise fans when a movie gets a bad review: FUCK RT
Franchise fans when a movie gets a good review: OMG I LOVE RT.

y'all realize this is literally a troll account?

Nistopher Colon wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 11:56 am
y'all realize this is literally a troll account?
an effective one at that if it managed to start an actual conversation.

you're welcome

Nistopher Colon wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 11:58 am
you're welcome
pm me and tell me who you are i swear i won’t tell anyone lmao