Chernobyl (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

ikr

pretty depressing

even more so because their grip on the people of russia is quite firm and I figure a whole lot of them is going to believe their new series wholeheartedly...

Just like how they're changing the peoples view of Stalin in a more positive light...

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Although it's difficult to grasp just how big a channel that NTV is - it can be just one in a trillion of TV channels in that huge country. It may not even have any sort of state endorsement, so I wouldn't jump on the hate train that quickly. You see a lot of weird shit on obscure TV channels :D Still, it's quite possible that modern Russia has never fully claimed responsibility for the events taking place there - I never read into it, but it's perfectly possible, seeing the character of Putin and his, and his country's, approach to several social and political issues.

Obligatory I’m not Russian, but if I’m not mistaken, NTV is pretty big there. Definitely not obscure in any way. Quick google search shows it’s controlled by the subsidiary of one of Russia’s biggest gas companies, half of which itself is partly owned by the government.

Ruth wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 7:04 am
Obligatory I’m not Russian, but if I’m not mistaken, NTV is pretty big there. Definitely not obscure in any way. Quick google search shows it’s controlled by the subsidiary of one of Russia’s biggest gas companies, half of which itself is partly owned by the government.
Yeah, it's the 3rd biggest channel there.

These reports going across English language media are annoying because critical detail.is being lost in translation. Namely that that NTV series was shooting before the HBO one went into production. It just happens to be airing this year and no doubt the network will position it as a response to HBO. There's even a sales trailer at https://vimeo.com/160470623

What's really being prepped as a direct response to the HBO series (which the culture minister responded surprisingly positively to) is a feature film, from the producer of Leviathan and Loveless and with a heartthrob star both starring and directing the thing. Given that it's got government money behind it (via the Russian Film Fund) and you've got that guy starring and directing, it will very much be the government-sanctioned, mainstream and commercially aimed take.

I've got a morbid curiosity about both projects tbh, let's see how they work out :D but basically, I think even for many Russians (that haven't been zombified by loca pro government TV and media) the HBO show will be the definitive take. Even those who actually lived there at the time for the most part agree - they got it right. Shockingly so. Even I was approaching this when first announced with a lot of skepticism but holy shit Mazin seriously pulled it off. My opinion really doesn't matter here, sure I found it absolutely engrossing, but to have family members who were there singing the show's praises...really says a ton

I felt as unstable as an RBMK reactor during the final 5 minutes. What a masterpiece of a series

The three remaining reactors remained operational after the accident; all three were eventually shut down by 2000, and the plant remains in the process of decommissioning as of 2019. Nuclear clean-up is scheduled for completion in 2065.
Holy shit

yo wtf

So here it is you guys. The Chernobyl series that will demolish HBO!

the comment section is fun lmao. "Какое говно" times 100

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Amalgama Studio.