Dark Phoenix (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
natalie wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 9:56 pm
Artemis wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 5:16 pm
Jeez, wonder why people are hating Chastain now when years ago this site was singing her praises. :think:
Not "people", men :roll:
So. Very. True.

It does get a little much.

I swear Allstar has taken every opportunity available to do so.

Chastain has been consistently great in almost every movie she's been in, even if her career choices aren't always the best. She's awesome in Crimson Peak, for example.

and btw, Allstar shits on Chastain on the regular and has for literally half a decade since he thinks she's too outspoken a feminist. The horror.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 10:14 pm
Chastain has been consistently great in almost every movie she's been in, even if her career choices aren't always the best. She's awesome in Crimson Peak, for example.

and btw, Allstar shits on Chastain on the regular and has for literally half a decade since he thinks she's too outspoken a feminist. The horror.

-Vader
"i'M a LiBeRaL gUy BuT" :lol:

As I have always said, Chastain has about as much right to talk about politics as any of us since politics affects everybody.

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
That’s not why. At all. Do you see me ragging on other “outspoken feminists”? The answer is no. I am not that type of person. I just don’t like her much, find her pretentious, fake, hypocritical (hired a director recently that confirmed beat the shit out of women multiple times) and for a word I don’t like using much ‘overrated’ as a performer.

natalie wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 9:56 pm
Artemis wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 5:16 pm
Jeez, wonder why people are hating Chastain now when years ago this site was singing her praises. :think:
Not "people", men :roll:
men are not soylent green?

Artemis wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 11:50 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
You can be a feminist and not like every feminist, or defend every kind of feminism. You don't abandon your right to have an opinion by recognizing the value of an idea. You can have tastes, opinions that contradict the idea, otherwise the idea becomes an ideological prison, which is terrible imo.

Demoph wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 3:39 am
Artemis wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 11:50 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
You can be a feminist and not like every feminist, or defend every kind of feminism. You don't abandon your right to have an opinion by recognizing the value of an idea. You can have tastes, opinions that contradict the idea, otherwise the idea becomes an ideological prison, which is terrible imo.
Of course. Not saying you can't do any of those things. But also why say it? Kind of like when people say "I'm not ____ but" then they say something that supports what they are not.

Demoph wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 3:39 am
This. I don't think it applies much to Allstar, because he's had a thing for shitting on Chastain on every occasion. Others don't tend to criticize the "content" of her feminism either, they just hate a feminist who's loud

But I'll say this. I support Chastain as an actress, because despite her choices lately, to suggest she lacks artistic capacity to perform is STUPID. She's incredibly talented. And I support her right and need to talk and commit herself to a cause, because we need people like that. But as for her feminism itself... I honestly don't care for it at all. It's not to say I completely disagree with her (although that strong women character interview is at this point perma locked into my brain), but I feel like a lot of what she does is loud, but...vapid. It's like "I support women, they're strong :)", which in itself is not a wrong statement, but there's no depth to it, no very necessary complexities of feminism that go way beyond just mere "girl power!". It's like calling bad people bad. Of course it's not her job to be an all educated activist, and just being able to use your power to help attract attention and empower is great, but is she really some modern feminism pioneer, idk man. I don't think so. It's a tricky topic to discuss.