TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Hello, everybody. I am a first-time poster; inadvertently discovered this board today.
I am signed up as an extra for Tenet in Tallinn. I went through one of the on-site signups almost a month ago.
I don't have too much more to add to what has been posted already; actually, in some ways you are better informed so far, as I had not seen some of the articles posted in the Estonian press until now (most operate behind a paywall).
Allfilm sent out two surveys to me so far. One was on the announced dates and asking whether I could drive other extras (I live within walking distance of Old Town, so I wasn't planning on it).
The second they sent on Friday night, which had to be filled out by noon today (Sunday, the 2nd), and asked if I had a car that could be used in the shoot. I assume this is for the Laagna tee road sequence (I have a brand-new one that I bought a couple of months ago that I volunteered).
They also in this second survey asked about my availability for shoots from June 13 through the 21st, and specially asked about reaching the port area, which is next to Old Town, but is not part of it. I assume that means the developing shoot at Linnahall.
Like most locals here, I assumed that they were coming to Tallinn for Old Town (it's crying for cinema treatment; really an undiscovered jewel), and am kind of surprised that it means Linnahall, which is this crumbling, hulking monstrosity built as a concert hall on the Baltic Sea (I once saw Duran Duran play there about 15 years ago), but it's been closed for years, and although there have been efforts to do something with it, it's come to naught until this. It is ... unique visually, in the way that Soviet monolithic architecture can be.
We were told that we will have to report at 3-4 a.m. in the morning, probably. That means that it will be dawn or morning light here. We are not at the Arctic Circle, but get a healthy amount of White Nights in the summertime, and the shoot will be just before the maximum amount of daytime in the summer at the solstice. The sun today already came up at 4 a.m.
That's about all I know. I assume that once the shooting starts extras will be under a gag order, and I am not going to take any risks by jeopardizing that. I imagine we will get more details about the mechanics of what we have to do/where we have to be this week.
As for whether the city will find a way to make Laagna tee work for the shoot, I would not be surprised either way. Giving up that road, for however long that sequence takes, will mean cutting off the main artery to the centre for about a third of Tallinn residents, and the secondary roads are already a nightmare. Then again, we will host the Estonian song festival in early July, which has in some years about 100,000 participants and is a nightmare logistically for about a week, and the city is always able to adjust. A lot of Tallinn residents go out of town starting that week anyway (June 23-24 is a big national holiday; Jannipäev) We'll see.
Laagna tee is an interesting stretch of road, because parts of it were dynamited through limestone by the Soviet army, and is one of the widest/fastest stretches of roads in the city.
I don't know how much I will be able to post this summer, but I will be lurking. I'm a big Nolan fan, and this month is a life bucket-list event for me!

anikom15 wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 10:31 am
It’s unethical to close a major road in a developing country for a month.
Estonia isn't a developing country. And even if it was, why would that matter?

Laar's Beard Shaver wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 12:44 pm
Hello, everybody. I am a first-time poster; inadvertently discovered this board today.
I am signed up as an extra for Tenet in Tallinn. I went through one of the on-site signups almost a month ago.
I don't have too much more to add to what has been posted already; actually, in some ways you are better informed so far, as I had not seen some of the articles posted in the Estonian press until now (most operate behind a paywall).
Allfilm sent out two surveys to me so far. One was on the announced dates and asking whether I could drive other extras (I live within walking distance of Old Town, so I wasn't planning on it).
The second they sent on Friday night, which had to be filled out by noon today (Sunday, the 2nd), and asked if I had a car that could be used in the shoot. I assume this is for the Laagna tee road sequence (I have a brand-new one that I bought a couple of months ago that I volunteered).
They also in this second survey asked about my availability for shoots from June 13 through the 21st, and specially asked about reaching the port area, which is next to Old Town, but is not part of it. I assume that means the developing shoot at Linnahall.
Like most locals here, I assumed that they were coming to Tallinn for Old Town (it's crying for cinema treatment; really an undiscovered jewel), and am kind of surprised that it means Linnahall, which is this crumbling, hulking monstrosity built as a concert hall on the Baltic Sea (I once saw Duran Duran play there about 15 years ago), but it's been closed for years, and although there have been efforts to do something with it, it's come to naught until this. It is ... unique visually, in the way that Soviet monolithic architecture can be.
We were told that we will have to report at 3-4 a.m. in the morning, probably. That means that it will be dawn or morning light here. We are not at the Arctic Circle, but get a healthy amount of White Nights in the summertime, and the shoot will be just before the maximum amount of daytime in the summer at the solstice. The sun today already came up at 4 a.m.
That's about all I know. I assume that once the shooting starts extras will be under a gag order, and I am not going to take any risks by jeopardizing that. I imagine we will get more details about the mechanics of what we have to do/where we have to be this week.
As for whether the city will find a way to make Laagna tee work for the shoot, I would not be surprised either way. Giving up that road, for however long that sequence takes, will mean cutting off the main artery to the centre for about a third of Tallinn residents, and the secondary roads are already a nightmare. Then again, we will host the Estonian song festival in early July, which has in some years about 100,000 participants and is a nightmare logistically for about a week, and the city is always able to adjust. A lot of Tallinn residents go out of town starting that week anyway (June 23-24 is a big national holiday; Jannipäev) We'll see.
Laagna tee is an interesting stretch of road, because parts of it were dynamited through limestone by the Soviet army, and is one of the widest/fastest stretches of roads in the city.
I don't know how much I will be able to post this summer, but I will be lurking. I'm a big Nolan fan, and this month is a life bucket-list event for me!
You live in Estonia ?

Collins wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 2:47 pm
You live in Estonia ?
Yes. About a block from where another thread said Nolan was seen at a tram stop in Tallinn here recently.

Sanchez wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 2:10 pm
anikom15 wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 10:31 am
It’s unethical to close a major road in a developing country for a month.
Estonia isn't a developing country. And even if it was, why would that matter?
If it was a developing country then you could argue that any negative economic side effects by holding a major road closed for 30 days straight is going to cause greater impact to the population than if it were a fully developed country.

Laar's Beard Shaver wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 12:44 pm
fantastic post! thank you

Nolan film topic was today in Estonia’s national tv.
Couple of new interesting tidbits.

Film crew itself consists more than 300 people.
Tallinn onscreen time will be approximately 15-17 minutes.
There were more than 12k people who sent an application to be an extra.

Makes me realize how lucky I really was that me and my girlfriend both were chosen to be there.

külmavana wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 2:08 am
Nolan film topic was today in Estonia’s national tv.
Couple of new interesting tidbits.

Film crew itself consists more than 300 people.
Tallinn onscreen time will be approximately 15-17 minutes.

Makes me realize how lucky I really was that me and my girlfriend both were chosen to be there.
You guys are doing a great job keeping us updated. No other website can provide the kind of info you are providing. :gonf:

külmavana wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 2:08 am
That's insane

They were only looking for 1500 right? About the same amount as the most amount of extras they had on the beach of Dunkirk iirc.