Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:50 pm
This is what toxic fandom can do to people:
Kit Harington checked into luxury rehab for stress and alcohol
https://pagesix.com/2019/05/28/kit-hari ... d-alcohol/
wait what the fuck, seriously? Poor guy. Toxic fandom is almost absolutely part of the reason why, but it’s probably also a combination of possibly feeling void/depressed after something you’d given almost a decade to has ended. Also a mix of things we may never find out about. I wish him all the best. Props to him for going public with his issues, it takes courage.

Toxic hardcore fandoms absolutely deserve to be called out and have their asses put on a blast. They don’t own these properties, stories or characters, they’re literally entitled to nothing.

Ruth wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:27 pm
Allstar wrote:
wait what the fuck, seriously? Poor guy. Toxic fandom is almost absolutely part of the reason why, but it’s probably also a combination of possibly feeling void/depressed after something you’d given almost a decade to has ended. Also a mix of things we may never find out about. I wish him all the best. Props to him for going public with his issues, it takes courage.

Toxic hardcore fandoms absolutely deserve to be called out and have their asses put on a blast. They don’t own these properties, stories or characters, they’re literally entitled to nothing.
Yeah, I’m sure it’s a combination of things. The timing is sort of telling though.

Kit’s gone into detail before about his issues involving GOT and the ending. Making this mostly about fandom is just you taking something that annoys you and grafting it here.

It sounds like he’s been struggling with the end of the show privately for a while.

-Vader

I’m sure the way fans have reacted to this past season (petition to remake) did him no favors. It’s an assumption on my part.

Allstar wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:49 pm
I’m sure the way fans have reacted to this past season (petition to remake) did him no favors. It’s an assumption on my part.
Harington reportedly checked himself into the facility “weeks before” the show’s May 19 finale.

So right around when the backlash started.

Who knows exactly what is going on, I shouldn't have made a quick assumption.

Allstar wrote:
Is that why he turned to alcohol? Or because of the fame in general? Or, possibly, we just cannot know for certain since it’s a deeply private matter.

Vader182 wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:48 pm
Kit’s gone into detail before about his issues involving GOT and the ending. Making this mostly about fandom is just you taking something that annoys you and grafting it here.

It sounds like he’s been struggling with the end of the show privately for a while.

-Vader
I think the fandom backlash is probably the least of his problems. This show has been the majority of his adult life, it's a lifestyle and to have that to end must be incredibly jarring. Turner and others have said to need quite some time to really adjust to it.

I hope he's doing well.

Turner also gave an interview admitting she struggled with depression due to non stop hate comments from people, many of whom would probably think of themselves as "fans". It may not be (it probably isn't) the biggest element when it comes to the cast's personal struggles, but let's not pretend it isn't there at all.

I'd rather not speculate too in depth about their personal issues, but to try and downplay and minimize the effect it can have is also silly. These are only humans, they're not immune to the never ending toxic drivel. Imagine getting thousands of comments dissecting everything you do on that show, how you look/act, and then the people who are dumb enough to burden these people with their hatred of the show's quality or turn of events.