Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
AhmadAli95 wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:50 pm
Anyone else here feels that they are so attached to technology? Phones, computers?
I'm writing this on a forum on the internet :facepalm:

I almost lost my shit last week and threw a tantrum because I thought my computer no longer works (it holds all my files and all the valuable projects I'm working on - so it's kind of understandable isn't it?)

Today, I dropped my phone and smashed the screen. I was much more calm but it's starting to sting a little because: one: there is no quick solution two: money.

I'm thinking about getting a cheap phone for necessary calls and just pretend I'm Nolan. Maybe then I could finish all the projects I want to finish.
What do you mean cheap? There's a lot of great phones that are not Apple or Samsung, but still have almost as many functionalities and cost much less.
Also, I get mad, when I lose my internet connection for two minutes, yet it's often when I have no internet connection for a week that I find time to read great books, that are much better than anything I watch on the internet...

AhmadAli95 wrote:
Anyone else here feels that they are so attached to technology? Phones, computers?
I'm writing this on a forum on the internet :facepalm:

I almost lost my shit last week and threw a tantrum because I thought my computer no longer works (it holds all my files and all the valuable projects I'm working on - so it's kind of understandable isn't it?)

Today, I dropped my phone and smashed the screen. I was much more calm but it's starting to sting a little because: one: there is no quick solution two: money.

I'm thinking about getting a cheap phone for necessary calls and just pretend I'm Nolan. Maybe then I could finish all the projects I want to finish.
I feel you. It’s why I’ve sort of made a decision to stop giving into the need to constantly update my devices, like phones, computers, etc. This is especially true with phones - companies release them ALL THE TIME, and it’s so trendy and you just feel the need to have it all. The moment you get a new phone, a newer one comes out and it’s toootally better and you toootally need it. Bleh fuck it. I’ve had my iPhone 6s for years, it works GREAT lmao, so i’m not changing it until it like explodes or something.

Demoph wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:07 pm
What do you mean cheap? There's a lot of great phones that are not Apple or Samsung, but still have almost as many functionalities and cost much less.
Also, I get mad, when I lose my internet connection for two minutes, yet it's often when I have no internet connection for a week that I find time to read great books, that are much better than anything I watch on the internet...
I know but I've moved from Nokia (N95) to Apple (first iPhone was iPhone 4), so I'm used to iOS and I absolutely hate Android.
What I meant by a cheap phone is a phone that isn't a smartphone, like a really cheap Nokia used for phone calls and messages - no social media, no apps. It's a bit extreme and I probably won't commit because let's face it I'm an addict. Gotta check Twitter and Instagram and it's not healthy.

I've picked up a book about psychology and I've been reading a couple of pages a day. Maybe if I wasn't so addicted to my phone, I would've finished it by now.

Ruth wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:25 pm
I feel you. It’s why I’ve sort of made a decision to stop giving into the need to constantly update my devices, like phones, computers, etc. This is especially true with phones - companies release them ALL THE TIME, and it’s so trendy and you just feel the need to have it all. The moment you get a new phone, a newer one comes out and it’s toootally better and you toootally need it. Bleh fuck it. I’ve had my iPhone 6s for years, it works GREAT lmao, so i’m not changing it until it like explodes or something.
Same. I find all the new tech and updates to be quite interesting and cool but it's excessive. I went from an iPhone 4 to 6 and I wasn't really interested in getting a new one until the battery started malfunctioning and yet I still feel that the amount of money I would spend on a new phone should go somewhere else.

I always try to challenge myself. Like watch a movie all the way through without looking at my phone or read 30 pages of a book without looking at my phone. This helps me ease off my phone a lot whenever I feel like I'm becoming too dependent.

I also try to hang out with friends more often because if I'm with my friends, I don't feel the need to go on my phone.

My last day in Chicago is tomorrow and man, this trip was great. And to tie into the tech thing, I think I did pretty all right not being on my phone all the time.

Next up is Portland in July and I'm still trying go decide between going to New Orleans or New York again for my birthday.

holy shit dude if I were you i’d go to nola

Ruth wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:36 pm
holy shit dude if I were you i’d go to nola
I really want to see Sorkin's adaptation of To Kill A Mockingbird but NOLA would probably be more affordable.

If I get a decent raise next month I can go all out and maybe do both :twisted:

AhmadAli95 wrote:
Backup.Every.Thing.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Demoph wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:07 pm
I know but I've moved from Nokia (N95) to Apple (first iPhone was iPhone 4), so I'm used to iOS and I absolutely hate Android.
What I meant by a cheap phone is a phone that isn't a smartphone, like a really cheap Nokia used for phone calls and messages - no social media, no apps. It's a bit extreme and I probably won't commit because let's face it I'm an addict. Gotta check Twitter and Instagram and it's not healthy.

I've picked up a book about psychology and I've been reading a couple of pages a day. Maybe if I wasn't so addicted to my phone, I would've finished it by now.
I've had (well I still have it somewhere) a 20$ phone, so yes, it can be done. But I think psychologically it works better if you start with it (too late...) or if you buy it as a backup, in case your phone breaks, and then use it, instead of buying a new one. If you buy it as a first choice, you'll be like "why the hell did I do that", if you end up with it because of constraints you could end up like "well, that's not that bad". Anyway, here ends my psychology lesson of the day. :D

Omg even the Chinatwon in Chicago is way better than the one in Houston.

Low key don't want to leave tho