What's the last book you've read?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I started reading In A Lonely Place by Dorothy B Hughes and right from the first page she sucks you into the character and story.

I wish I could read in the car during this long car ride but I get carsick easily :(

I was on a string of gay YA stories (Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda, What if it's Us) but I wanted to switch it up, so I started reading The Prestige. Digging it quite a bit.

Prestige is a hella fast paced book and really good. I think I prefer the film though. Book is still worth reading.

I think I'm finally going to start reading Call Me By Your Name

Last book I read was Stranger in a Strange Land which was well, strange lol but I did like it

Artemis wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 12:26 pm
Prestige is a hella fast paced book and really good. I think I prefer the film though. Book is still worth reading.
iirc Christopher Priest prefers the film too :lol:

Nomis wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 1:35 pm
I think I'm finally going to start reading Call Me By Your Name

Last book I read was Stranger in a Strange Land which was well, strange lol but I did like it

NF book club when?

And I really need to read CMBYN. I always try but then I get overwhelmed with the emotions and I put it down.

Beautifully written book though.

Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

After watching Euphoria, I def needed something like this. I related to this a whole lot more than I did to Euphoria. The comic is mostly told in vignettes compared to the film but it still has a thread of character development as you progress. I think I prefer the film more though. The film did a great job on expanding upon the characters. Everyone was also perfectly cast. I know I've had some hot takes about ScarJo but she was actually good in this. Thora Birch was great and she really captured that teenage nihilism so well.

They Shoot Horses Don't They by Horace McCoy

This book was really dark. And after doing some research, dance marathons were a thing back then that people did for money. Reading what the participants go through was really disturbing and the reader feels feverish when reading the parts where McCoy describes the derbies and how much their bodies hurt from being in constant movement. Looking forward to watching the film now.

The last fiction books I've read

my ratings out of ***** (five) stars

Image Image Image Image

The City of Brass **
Skyward ****½
Skyfarer ***
Uprooted ***½

Currently reading: Red Sister (new too early rating more than halfway through: ****)
Last edited by MagnarTheGreat on July 26th, 2019, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.