Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
radewart wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 4:32 pm
I'm not arguing that the epsidoes deserved to be praised as much as some of the previous seasons, but I do think that whatever the metric being used many people are giving unfairly low scores like 1's and 2's becuase they are so upset about Dany's arc.
I completely agree that it was rushed, but many, no matter how it was handled and paced would never like the character turn and automatically give it a low score. Same with some critics would no matter what give it a rotten review.
I agree.

Only 15% of votes came from people giving it 1s and 2s, and regardless, if you feel something has genuinely fucked up the ending of your favorite show what’s the appropriate rating would you give it?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:11 pm
Only 15% of votes came from people giving it 1s and 2s, and regardless, if you feel something has genuinely fucked up the ending of your favorite show what’s the appropriate rating would you give it?

-Vader
I use to vote on all the movies and TV shows I watched on imdb when I was younger, but I haven't for years. There is too much hyperbole voting from people on sites like that. Something is either an "absolute masterpiece" or "the worst thing ever". There is no allowances for varying degrees of inbetween, which is the case with Game of Thrones this year, in my opinion. It is a disappointment storywise but I still enjoy the actors and the production values.

I generally avoid Rotten Tomatoes, becuase I do think it is toxic towards legit criticism and film discussion. But, I also found myself getting too "upset" about lower scores of films I was excited about (TDKR and Interstellar) that I stopped paying attention to it, but GOT this season has pulled me back in towards that damn site.

radewart wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:43 pm
Something is either an "absolute masterpiece" or "the worst thing ever". There is no allowances for varying degrees of inbetween, which is the case with Game of Thrones this year, in my opinion.
That isn't reflected in the way people voted, though. More people voted 7s and 8s and 9s than any other category. Otherwise each rating is evenly distributed.

I'm trying to point out this can't be dismissed just as "outrage culture." A lot of reasonable people are disappointed and upset one of their favorite things shit the bed with the final season and ending.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:52 pm
radewart wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:43 pm
Something is either an "absolute masterpiece" or "the worst thing ever". There is no allowances for varying degrees of inbetween, which is the case with Game of Thrones this year, in my opinion.
That isn't reflected in the way people voted, though. More people voted 7s and 8s and 9s than any other category. Otherwise each rating is evenly distributed.

I'm trying to point out this can't be dismissed just as "outrage culture." A lot of reasonable people are disappointed and upset one of their favorite things shit the bed with the final season and ending.

-Vader
I guess I railing against just the general idea of numerically rating a movie or episode of a TV show. Is it really "fair" to assign a lower rating to the top quality of the effects, cinematography, the individual work of the actors, etc. in this past episode? Especially, when the same people likely gave a higher rating to some middling episode from season 5 or 6?

It's just recency bias from a storyline they don't like is causing them to throw out all the good stuff from the episode, too.

Again, I'm not saying it should be viewed as one of the best episodes or even top half, but it should not be viewed as the worst either.

Vader I’m pretty sure you expressed you loved the first 3 eps. So 2 eps later it has now “shit the bed”. Yes, people are putting the whole season on Dany’s turn, while imperfect, there has been a lot of bad takes on it that are making people hate the season as a whole. Not fair.

do i seriously have to explain why a severely flawed conclusion is weighted against the show more than episodes from 3 years ago (or even the start of the season)?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 9:23 pm
do i seriously have to explain why a severely flawed conclusion is weighted against the show more than episodes from 3 years ago (or even the start of the season)?

-Vader
No, but SOME people are being hyperbolic imo. And again some people have bad reasons for not liking it, some not all.
Last edited by Allstar on May 16th, 2019, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No, I get why people are mad, but I personally don't agree with that reasoning in assigning a rating to the episode, making it viewed as the worst in the serious run. I don't like numerical scores or stars, but it should be like in the 7.5 range.

At this point, I looking forward to the last episode airing just to be done with GOT for awhile and the internet can move back on to Star Wars hate.