Avengers: Endgame (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:16 pm
Why are people forgetting/ignoring outside of MI almost all of Cruise’s recent movies flopped?
The whole point is that Tom Cruise is a megastar and more a bankable movie star then RDJ. That's not even debatable. Sure they both have hits and misses. But there is no denying Cruise been doing it for 30 yrs. What is RDJ out side of IronMan(Marvel)?

Master Virgo wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:22 pm
Freaking Holmes films have grossed way higher than anything Cruise has done in the last ten years outside of MI, but sure bro, it's not even close.

Only on Nolanfans.£
“outside of the huge franchise Cruise has produced and starred in for 20 years, he’s not that big”

lol c’mon dude

Not to mention dude already worked for Kubrick, Mann, PTA etc. Why are we even debating his position in the pantheon.

m4st4 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Not to mention dude already worked for Kubrick, Mann, PTA etc. Why are we even debating his position in the pantheon.
not to mention Spielberg

Master Virgo wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:22 pm
Freaking Holmes films have grossed way higher than anything Cruise has done in the last ten years outside of MI, but sure bro, it's not even close.

Only on Nolanfans.£
Sure. Anyone is bankable IF they are riding Marvel/Disney's jock. Cruise at least tries to go out there and experiment other films while RDJ just been riding the free train for the last 10 yrs.

Cruise World Wide vs RDJ World Wide

Outside of SH and Marvel, RDJ other stuff is not even close. Cruise is mostly the main star of his movies while RDJ isn't.

m4st4 wrote:
Yeah, he use to work with auteurs but then he stopped. Cruise has my respect in regards to his career as a whole but his choices lately are boring. He likely turned down Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to do Top Gun 2. :facepalm:

In terms of megastars I respect the choices of DiCaprio and Pitt way more.

Allstar wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:55 pm
m4st4 wrote:
Yeah, he use to work with auteurs but then he stopped. Cruise has my respect in regards to his career as a whole but his choices lately are boring. He likely turned down Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to do Top Gunn 2. :facepalm:

In terms of megastars I respect the choices of DiCaprio and Pitt way more.
Boring? Have you seen Fallout? Dude is far from The Rock, we’re talking literally working his ass off to upscale action into something akin to what Nolan has been doing for years now.

The MI series is a great success for him but if you don’t think he can be more interesting and brave outside of that, you’re kidding yourself. Edge of Tomorrow is fantastic too, shame it flopped.
Last edited by Allstar on April 18th, 2019, 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I do like that Cruise takes on really interesting sci fi projects. Sure they may not make mega bucks at the box office but he is one of those stars who do interesting work.

And idk why people are dismissing the MI franchise so much. I feel like if Cruise didn't play such a huge part in it, the franchise wouldn't be as successful as it is today. Take Cruise away and the franchise would crumble most likely.

DiCaprio is awesome at what he does. Cruise is awesome at what he does. Pitt is awesome at what he does. Idk why people have a hate boner for Cruise when he stays in his lane and takes on interesting work.

i *might* like Short Cuts more than Magnolia, but that’s what i’m willing to give RDJ in this debate