Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 11:56 am
JJ on Rey's parentage playing a role in ROS:
I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen.
lmao here we go

Nomis wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 11:56 am
JJ on Rey's parentage playing a role in ROS:
I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen.
This secretive parentage is so stupid I don't know what else to say. Haven't this already been done with ESB? If they want the parentage to be as EPIC they should just go with L+L=R just to troll the hell out of the fanbase.

No, secret parentage was not a thing in ESB since you think you know who Luke's dad was going in and there's no suggestion to the contrary. It's a great twist because it's not telegraphed as something to be revealed

God forbid they were actually trash nobodies. How could we ever live with that. :facepalm: The whole point of TLJ’s ending is that she found new and better family in her friends regardless.

The most interesting aspect of this to me is Abrams revealing that information at this stage. Why would he do that?

I don't mind him taking different directions than Johnson, as long as he's doing it based on his own preference not angry middle aged male SW fans.

Him announcing a spin on one of the controversial aspects of Jedi this early on, is a worrying sign that Rise might actually be a backpedalling installment after all.£

Master Virgo wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 1:27 am
The most interesting aspect of this to me is Abrams revealing that information at this stage. Why would he do that?

I don't mind him taking different directions than Johnson, as long as he's doing it based on his own preference not angry middle aged male SW fans.

Him announcing a spin on one of the controversial aspects of Jedi this early on, is a worrying sign that Rise might actually be a backpedalling installment after all.£
He announced that on stage because he likes his fanbase content and happy. Remember how he basically apologized for Into Darkness during first weeks, he’s a ‘Yes, my lady’ man.

Rey being a nobody is a JJ and Kasdan idea, so if Rey's parentage suddenly shifts, JJ wouldn't just be backpedaling on Rian Johnson and TLJ, he'd be backpedaling on himself.

However, there's some latitude here isn't there?

Before The Last Jedi, I always thought the most likely explanation was that Rey's parents were force sensitives involved with either side (Palpatine disciples? Luke's temple?) and abandoned Rey knowing she might be force sensitive too and putting her in grave risk. That explanation wouldn't violate anything in the text of The Last Jedi.

-Vader

They put the idea in TFA to be answered later on. Rian answered. Cynic in me believes we’re due another ‘point of view’ moment in TROS, but they may develop TLJ answer in a satisfactory manner for sure. I mean, if her mother is Keri Russell sort of deal I’ll just shutup.

Vader182 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:46 am
Rey being a nobody is a JJ and Kasdan idea, so if Rey's parentage suddenly shifts, JJ wouldn't just be backpedaling on Rian Johnson and TLJ, he'd be backpedaling on himself.

Before The Last Jedi, I always thought the most likely explanation was that Rey's parents were force sensitives involved with either side (Palpatine disciples? Luke's temple?) and abandoned Rey knowing she might be force sensitive too and putting her in grave risk. That explanation wouldn't violate anything in the text of The Last Jedi.

-Vader
That actually would violate TLJ’s text. They are supposed to be nobody drunks and her lineage had nothing to do with her force sensitivity. Hence anyone can be this powerful/force sensitive regardless of parents. Literally the final scene of TLJ is what this is all about, making her parents force sensitive wound undercut this.

Allstar wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 9:58 am
Vader182 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:46 am

-Vader
That actually would violate TLJ’s text. They are supposed to be nobody drunks and her lineage had nothing to do with her force sensitivity. Hence anyone can be this powerful/force sensitive regardless of parents.
I don't want them to go back on what Rey says, but why not consider that Kylo lied or showed only one aspect of the facts, and that her parents were in fact forced to sell her because they had been recruited by an army because of the war, which would lead Rey to question the value of fighting, or something like that... But yeah, saying that her parents are force-sensitive kind of destroys the point. Because then her strength comes from her lineage...