Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 2:20 pm
I'm honestly kind of surprised just how many of the people that loved TLJ and its unique choices seem perfectly content with the obvious fan-fare/familiarity here. It's very odd. TFA gets tons of criticism for being a "carbon-copy" of SW (an argument I disagree with), but people are embracing this with open-arms.
It’s okay to hate movies without having a coherent explanation as to why. It’s not like hating people.

anikom15 wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Bacon wrote:
I'm honestly kind of surprised just how many of the people that loved TLJ and its unique choices seem perfectly content with the obvious fan-fare/familiarity here. It's very odd. TFA gets tons of criticism for being a "carbon-copy" of SW (an argument I disagree with), but people are embracing this with open-arms.
It’s okay to hate movies without having a coherent explanation as to why. It’s not like hating people.
that’s an incredibly ironic thing to say when the majority of hatred for the new star wars movies immediately turned into hatred of kennedy, “ruin” johnson, kelly marie tran, ridley, and the list probably goes on.

Bacon wrote:
Obviously the reason is that they don’t see it as familiar or fanfare. For instance, it seems to be the first of the Sequel Trilogy movies not to follow the broad structure and strokes of one of the Original Trilogy...something TLJ can’t claim.

TLJ deconstructed Star Wars. The Rise of Skywalker has to put it back together while unifying the entire Saga. It’s impossible to do that without invoking the past powerfully.

-Vader

Ruth wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 7:45 pm
anikom15 wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Bacon wrote:
that’s an incredibly ironic thing to say when the majority of hatred for the new star wars movies immediately turned into hatred of kennedy, “ruin” johnson, kelly marie tran, ridley, and the list probably goes on.
So I’m wrong then? Okay.

I’m glad I don’t ever go to the movies anymore. I don’t have to worry about whether or not I’m allowed to have an opinion.

^lmao how dramatic

Bacon wrote:
This is extremely cynical of me I know (but what's new? lol), but honestly it's more that I've come to accept that most SW fans prefer nostalgia over innovation, even it its divisive.

While initially I thought it was laziness, with hindsight I feel like TFA being basically a soft reboot was a genius move by Kennedy and co because they know that SW fans just want more of the same over and over again. They don't like change, they don't like anything that challenges preconceived notions, they like a formula and they like being outraged.

So I mean, it's just acceptance more than anything. I love Star Wars, but I sort of hate being a Star Wars fan, if that makes sense.

Cilogy wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 8:36 pm
I love Star Wars, but I sort of hate being a Star Wars fan, if that makes sense.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I just find it fascinating how much nostalgia/fan-fare and innovation seems to constantly be at odds in this franchise's development, both in the audience and the creators.

I’m certainly not ashamed of being a fan of something, I’m ashamed of the hate that comes with being a fan of something on a global scale. It’s like watching humanity devour itself in virtual space, sociological experiment if you will.

JJ on Rey's parentage playing a role in ROS:
I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen.