Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 12:40 pm
TeddyBlass wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 11:43 pm

That video is great, and seeing George Lucas on set of Thrones is awesome.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Ace wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 12:40 pm
TeddyBlass wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 11:43 pm

That video is great, and seeing George Lucas on set of Thrones is awesome.
That behind the scenes video was great

Oku
That was a great episode, and this is coming from someone that had zero hype going in (I couldn't even sit through any of the trailers).

The reunion between Arya and the Hound was memorable, because it started out making me think that it would be another fanservice-y reunion scene where they say something snarky before they smile and embrace each other.

But they didn't, so that was was refreshing.

Also, I didn't mind Euron as much this time around, so I feel like they toned down his cackling villainy compared to last season?

And a nitpick that had negligible impact on my enjoyment on the episode, but that CGI dragon riding scene could have been better...

Vader182 wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 1:50 am
I loved it. It seems to me to have a concise complexity of the earlier seasons in a way 5-7 didn’t in ways that also unify the last few seasons in ways I didn’t expect so far. More or less a perfect premiere episode, possibly my favorite after the first.

A good example of what I mean is:
The interplay of Sam’s arc (him meeting his family in S6... & they get executed in S7) with Dany’s issues with conquering vs leadership, and using that to interplay with Bran’s discovery of Jon’s parentage with Sam as a way for Sam to say what he needs to about Dany...it’s all many many shades of gray that say a lot with a lot of elegant foils between character arcs. this is one thing that made me love GOT in the first place I’ve felt the show has lost and leading to the amazing scenes between Sam and Dany (of course he’s heartbroken despite hating his father) and Sam and Jon, the latter being 8 seasons in the making. Huge climax-level stuff.
Honestly, felt like so much more than a "set up" episode. Almost every scene worked unto itself. Much tighter, more elegant writing than season 7, anyway.

-Vader
I completely agree. Not to forget that the production-value is next level.

I also loved all the little callbacks to the first episode, same
music used when Robert and co. arrived at Winterfell and the music during Jaime and Bran seeing each other again, and that Ned told Jon they'll talk about his mother next time they meet and he hears it from Sam while with the statues below Winterfell etc.
Bradley and Clarke were the MVPs imo. I also much prefer how they handle Arya this episode than the entirety of the previous season. She feels like a person again and not someone who's way ahead of herself.

Can't wait to see how the little fractures between
Sansa and Daenerys, Jaime and Daenerys and Sam and Daenerys are going to pay off. If anything, Daenerys forgiving Jaime would be the right thing to do and might break the ice, lol, between her and Sam. Which is what I hope will happen. You can feel she's not entirely safe in the North and Tyrion is obviously tensed too. He, Varys and Jorah have to find a reason to win the people of the North over.
Not to forget that Jon, being so honest, has to find a way to tell Daenerys about the fact that they're actually family... I hope Bran will be the mediator in all this. He's too powerful not to intervene for the better.

Also didn't expect Cersei to give in to Euron's wish to have sex with her but it does make sense and makes her even more cunning.
Again, production value is top notch. It's just such an incredible feat to have this kind of scale on TV. Sure, it has pushed the limit in every season but this is just incredible and promising for the episodes to come. I love it.
really loved that Jon got to know his true parentage in this episode already and that he got to ride Rhaegal

I had doubts before this episode.
Now, I don't.
Bring it on.

Nomis wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 6:04 am

I also loved all the little callbacks to the first episode, same
music used when Robert and co. arrived at Winterfell and the music during Jaime and Bran seeing each other again, and that Ned told Jon they'll talk about his mother next time they meet and he hears it from Sam while with the statues below Winterfell etc.
Also first episode, Robert says he'll mary his son with Ned's daughter, and Arya and Gendry scene had more flirting than all of Arya's scenes in the seven previous season.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 6:16 pm
Allstar wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 4:02 pm
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 10:13 am
Man, I'm anticipating tonight like crazy, but this year I'm as anxious as I am excited.

Will D&D give us Battle of the Bastards/Winds of Winter greatness or Beyond the Wall Hollywood cliched nonsensical storytelling?

Sapochnik and the numerous GRRM endgame story sessions they had in 2013 give me much hope but I'm still nervous

I'm in a Death Pool at my work like countless others, but I'll be mad if I win lol. Last thing I want from this season is predictability
Who did you bet on? Just curious what you think is predictable.
Jon on the throne, Dany sacrifice
My bet:
Sansa and Tyrion rule together; Arya (killed by Cersei), Dany and Jamie die.

^
and where would
jon go?
Tbh I thought Sansa would survive the series, but after this episode, I just have a hunch she might not. She has better chances than Arya, I guess.
How do you guys think will Daenerys react
once she finds out she was boning not only her nephew, but the actual heir to the throne? Would she, in Sam’s words, do the same for Jon as he did for her? She obviously loves him, but despite her doubts and uneasiness with her assumed role as a queen, she looks too far gone to not have a massive freak out. I just don’t see her being willing give up her spot like that, not even out of love. She should’ve taken a hint with Jon being able to ride her dragon.
I haven’t read a single fan theory actually, so maybe something’s going on that’s like super obvious to others, but I’m oblivious to that as of yet lol.

I think Daenerys
doesn't love Jon, though. First of all, it's too early for them to have such strong feelings. I think she likes him, maybe has feelings for him but she loves the idea of being a queen much more and this will create a huge rift between them, or at least between the other Starks and her, since Jon doesn't really care about all that ruling stuff.

The one thing that could safe
Daenerys from losing the North's support is if she turns out to be pregnant of Jon. Which I think is going to happen. She'll probably be very upset to find out Jon is her nephew and that he has a stronger claim on the Iron Throne than she does. Fingers crossed Jon and Daenerys talk about this in episode two.

I find it very interesting that Jon already found out about his true heritage and he basically has to become what he never wanted to be. Daenerys has to set aside her longing for the Iron Throne and become that what she was meant to be, the liberator of Westeros i.e. playing a key role in defeating the Night King and his army. It's basically a switch between Jon and Daenerys' goals in life. For seven seasons they've lived to it and now it's a full 180 for both of them.
I think Jon will rise to take the mantle of being King of the Seven Kingdoms and protector of the Seven Realms. Daenerys has to set aside her hunger for the crown and aid Jon and bearing a child so they can rule together. She's not going to like it one bit though. Sansa and Arya are 100% pro Jon and Brienne is 100% pro Sansa/Arya. Tyrion and Jorah are 100% pro Daenerys, as are Grey Worm and Missandei. I think Varys might support Jon.

Of course, I hope Jon and Daenerys can come to terms. As can Sam with Daenerys. I think Daenerys should forgive Jaime for making this happen. If she can forgive him, Sam can forgive Daenerys.

Also, Bronn has to kill both Tyrion and Jaime right? Wonder how that'll play out.