Hellboy (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batman's Batman wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 12:04 pm
Casual moviegoers probably don't care about the old Hellboy movies.
Casual moviegoers probably didn't care about Captain Marvel and Aquaman either. Look at how that turned out.
Like you said a CULT following. "Cult" doesn't really imply big money if you make a new one.
Cult following still makes a character like Hellboy more known to the public than someone like Aquaman, whose most popular incarnation before his movie was his lame character from the Superfriends show, which was always laughed at.
And also it's been over 10 years from the last one, at some point it's just too little too late for a movie like this.
Remind me, how many years have past between Glass and Unbrakable? Last time I checked, Glass was a hit, despite being a sequel to an 18-year-old movie.
b) Del Toro makes by no means guaranteed hit movies, both box office or critically.
At this point, he's got more hits than failures. And I was not talking solely about his name alone being the driving force of the movie. I said that the hype surrounding the superhero genre now guarantees success to almost any superhero movie that has some level of entertainment in it. Even the goddamn Fan4stick made more money than any of the Hellboy movies. And it made that money only because it was in the middle of the superhero boom, which Hellboy movies did not participate in, since superhero movies at that point in time were still a niche genre. Only Raimi's Spider-Man movies were making overwhelming profits at that time. Nowadays, a goddamn Ant-Man movie can make half a billion.
Look at Pacific Rim (BARELY maybe broke even at best) and Crimson Peak (bombed, lost money to the studio)
A) Pacific Rim was an ode to anime. When was the last time that a movie inspired by anime did extremely well at the box office? Even if it's good, it's less likely to do well. Look at Edge of Tomorrow.

B) Crimson Peak was an R-rated horror romance. It's not a crowd-pleasing blockbuster, duh.
I really don't think the oscars matter that much in the superhero business
Uh-huh. Wait for the promo campaign for Black Panther 2 to begin and watch how every tagline will mention "the sequel to the acclaimed Best Picture nominee". Oscars don't mean much when it comes to a small director that directs small films, since the tagline "from the Oscar-winning director" won't really help that much, because indie directors win Oscars every year. But when it comes to capeshit, that tagline can really help, since it implies that a person of vast credibility and talent is doing a superhero film.
Del Toro's 3rd Hellboy movie would definitely not have been a "guaranteed 500mil or more"
Well, since the movie will never exist, neither you or I can say yes or not. But I will say yes, still. If Ant-Man and Captain Marvel can make huge profits, despite lacking any kind of imagination or style, something as diverse and unique as Del Toro's Hellboy movie would definitely get the money it deserves if it was released today.
1. Casual moviegoers are fans of Marvel movies not Captain Marvel, though. Right now they are invested in these universes much like they are invested in popular TV shows. People want to see the next installment. But when it's a less than spectacular movie and poorly marketed like Ant-Man it doesn't really make a billion now, does it? Aquaman appeared in two previous big DC movies before he got his own movie.

2. Cult following means it has a very small but devoted following. I think more people are aware of the jokes about Aquaman than Hellboy. Let alone more people have seen BvS and JL than they have Hellboy. By a landslide.

3. Glass is not a direct sequel to Unbreakable, though. It was a sequel to the highly profitable Split movie. And Glass actually underperformed when compared to what the studio expected after Split.

4. Hellboy, Hellboy II, Mimic and Crimson Pic lost money. Blade II and Pacific Rim barely broke even. His only hits were Pan's Labirynth and The Shape of Water and only because they were not budgeted at a very high price.

So overall there are no signs pointing to Guillermo making a Hellboy movie that would make the studio any money. They made the right choice to give it to somebody else based on his financial performance. However, the studio is probably not considering that the character of Hellboy hasn't got that much name recognition or popularity, either. People just don't care about him and he's not a part of a large cinematic universe so the movie will most likely bomb.

The embargo lift on Wednesday but
:facepalm:

LelekPL wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 11:53 pm
LEXX wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 2:02 pm
This Hellboy will make a tons more movie then Guillermo del Toro's version NOT because it's better but because we are in a different generation with these young kids and their social media influences. By the look of this Guillermo del Toro's version to me is still a hell superior to the version that we are getting and that's like 10-15yrs ago.
This new version will NOT make a lot of money. It will more than likely lose money if it's budgeted at 100 million.
I said it "will make a tons more money then Guillermo del Toro's version" which is only (99mil) Hellboy and Hellboy 2 (160mil).

So, Slashfilm just gave 1 out of 10 points to this film, calling it one of the worst comic book movies.

What a waste.

Why are all Game of Thrones directors hacks when they direct movies?

Can’t wait to see this bomb at the box office. Under $70 million made domestically guaranteed.

Allstar wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 7:19 pm
Why are all Game of Thrones directors hacks when they direct movies?
Holy shit, I had no idea this was directed by Neil Marshall.

lol in a way it makes you wonder why Game of Thrones keeps hiring hacks to direct their episodes