Shazam! (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
You know what they should do to reboot the Justice League; introduce it from Shazam's POV.

Think this is my favorite DC film post BVS. It was way funnier than I expected it to be. Some hiccups in the pacing but overall, I really loved it. I'm actually really surprised Sandberg pulled this off, it is really ambitious for an origin film.

Santa is my favorite character in this

I enjoyed it much more than I expected at the end of the terrible opening sequence. Everything with Strong is only watchable because it's Strong. Even comparing with MCU villain, it's a terrible villain. That said, the foster family is so much fun, and the film has its heart in the right place. It really is a movie for children, and the child that is still in you, and it's all the better for accepting it and going the same way as The Incredibles. Also the little girl stole the show.
I hope for a sequel, I would definitely like to spend more time with these characters, if possible quite soon so they don't grow up too much.

Interesting feedback here.

I’m probably going to get some flak for this, but the last superhero movie that I feel like was really made for kids was Spider-Man 1, and (in a very weird way) Batman Begins I guess.

Even The Incredibles was really more for adults lol.

anikom15 wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 9:26 pm
I’m probably going to get some flak for this, but the last superhero movie that I feel like was really made for kids was Spider-Man 1, and (in a very weird way) Batman Begins I guess.
I mean, I did see it with my family at the cinema when I was 6 or 7 years old, but do you really think this belongs in a kids movie?

It depends how you define kids movie. The way I look at children’s novels (I read a lot of them, present tense), it’s all about the messaging, the moral or what not. I feel like BB’s messages can really resonate with kids for some reason.

BlairCo wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 9:51 pm
anikom15 wrote:
I mean, I did see it with my family at the cinema when I was 6 or 7 years old, but do you really think this belongs in a kids movie?
Maybe I'm wrong about this but didn't Don Bluth say that you can show a lot of terrifying things in a kids film as long as it has a happy ending?

Really loved this. Right when it ended my Dad turned to me and said "I hope they do a sequel to that" he even loved it. My theater was almost sold out and from what I can tell enjoyed it a lot

BlairCo wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 9:51 pm
anikom15 wrote:
I think it does belong in a kids' movie. That's not too much for children from what I can tell. Batman Begins is more of a family film than anything else. Same with Spider-Man.

I've been to a screening this weekend and it is easily the best DC movie since The Dark Knight Rises.

There is a lot of heart in it, surprisingly a lot of creepy scenes in the style of old Amblin flicks and a couple of charming characters. Some of Billy's siblings are totally underdeveloped, but Billy himself, Freddy and their youngest sister are great. Even the villain was somewhat engaging (finally, Mark Strong had a decent enough material to work with), although they could give him a little bit more motivation than just spreading evil around the world. His origin was great but it didn't justify such an extreme goal. Fortunately, his character arc still works great as a mirror image of Billy's. Something which even Marvel often had a problem with in the past when they did their "villain is the polar opposite of the hero" shtick. Also the Christmas vibes, funny references to DC's lore and creative sequences overshadow the clunky CGI and a bit overlong running time.

Zachary Levi and Jack Dylan Grazer are definitely the MVPs of this movie.

Rating: 8/10

PS: The after credits scenes are not worth staying for, though. They're as weak as Aquaman's.