Shazam! (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Literally only film nerds online use that word.

Stop trying to make capeshit happen Batman's Batman. It's never going to happen.
The Allfather disagrees.

Really excited for this. Hoping to see it next weekend. Was tempted to go see the sneak preview for this last week, but saw Us instead.

Seeing this tomorrow.

The sweetest superhero movie.

natalie wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 8:34 am
How does it compare to Mystery Men?

natalie wrote:
It really is. Some might confuse it for cheese.

Casting is great, the villain is sorta interesting, and there is a lot of heart.

the_red_ninja wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 2:31 am
natalie wrote:
It really is. Some might confuse it for cheese.

Casting is great, the villain is sorta interesting, and there is a lot of heart.
Exactly. Is Josh Baskin wishing to be a Superhero :D

Okay, so I actually loved this. Zachary Levi is amazing here. He makes Shazam hilariously work and treads the fine line very well with his ‘kid-in-adult-body’ trope role never falling into ‘overdone’ territory. His building friendship with Freddy (whose actor btw is freaking brilliant here) makes the entire film for me, like natalie said, it’s just so so sweet and wholesome. The entire character building of the villain is resorted to giving him one flashback, so nothing special in that department. He doesn’t make or break the film anyway, though. And Mark Strong does well with what he’s given.
I was a bit meh about the foster siblings getting powers via Shazam, mostly because at that point the cute “magic” of Billy and Freedy just clowning around and trying to figure things out wears off and it does start to feel more like “oh look more naive kids as ‘adults’”
The humor is very Marvel-like, the pop culture references and jokes fit well and don’t feel forced, but then again, I’m rarely ever bothered by lighthearted humor in superhero films. Curious to see the upcoming mental gymnastics of certain folks trying to prove this-is-NOT-like-the-Marvel-shité, though lol. The entire formula of the film is very similar to that of MCU, I DON’T consider that to be a negative.

All in all, it’s my favorite after WW. I hope WB doesn’t ruin what they have here.