NBA Discussion Thread

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
LelekPL wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:02 pm
Jerry West also played in the 60s, in an era way beneath modern basketball that basically started in the 80s, and was the greatest loser in NBA Finals history. I mean sure, historically West is a better defensive player than Harden but offensively he's not on the same level. What Harden is doing now is just flat out amazing. Basically what he's been doing the last three seasons. Unfortunately it doesn't translate well into Play-off wins... though without any other All-Star last year he nearly defeated the star-studded Warriors last year, while LeBron playing with another All-Star was completely swept. If he keeps it up the way he's playing he'll have the best individual season since Kobe... or maybe even Mike. Right now he's the biggest ticket in town because of his historic run. I know the league has Giannis, Embiid and Curry but no other player is as talked about and buzzed about this year as Harden. Basically every Rockets game people are tunning in to see if he can have another 50 or 40 point game. That's something.
Everyone and their mom rags on Harden. Look at any video and all the comments pretty much destroy him versus any other star out there (comments like, “The wind blew so Harden was fouled”). Here’s a fun fact, Harden has more free throws made than field goals in his career, I can’t find any other star out there who has that and that’s embarrassing if the fouls are from flopping. He plays no defense which is a valid criticism. He gets away with traveling more than any other person in the league. The Rockets should probably have won that series but Harden did choke the last game. His team outside of Paul was also very good, no it’s not star studded but he did have a solid core.

I’m not saying he’s not talented and maybe he’ll become more clutch in the playoffs at some point, but gosh I can’t find the will to like him as a player when he has all those things going for him (flopping fouls, the step back that would be traveling in a lot of other leagues in other countries).

bootsy wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 8:37 pm
LelekPL wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:02 pm
Jerry West also played in the 60s, in an era way beneath modern basketball that basically started in the 80s, and was the greatest loser in NBA Finals history. I mean sure, historically West is a better defensive player than Harden but offensively he's not on the same level. What Harden is doing now is just flat out amazing. Basically what he's been doing the last three seasons. Unfortunately it doesn't translate well into Play-off wins... though without any other All-Star last year he nearly defeated the star-studded Warriors last year, while LeBron playing with another All-Star was completely swept. If he keeps it up the way he's playing he'll have the best individual season since Kobe... or maybe even Mike. Right now he's the biggest ticket in town because of his historic run. I know the league has Giannis, Embiid and Curry but no other player is as talked about and buzzed about this year as Harden. Basically every Rockets game people are tunning in to see if he can have another 50 or 40 point game. That's something.
I don't care what era West played in. Hell if he played in this era of wide open basketball and a 3 point shot, he'd be killing anything Harden is doing right now. Harden is not better than Jerry West regardless of what era he played in.
I agree, and that’s one of the issues I have when people compare classic hall of famers and the league now. Barely anyone plays defense these days where as players were intense on defense back in the day. Of course most legends would dominate in the league these days.

I’m curious, are there any Lakers fans? What’s your opinion on Lebron being there?

I know it’s only one game, but did all the trade rumors make the rest of the team sort of give up and that’s why they lost so bad or was it just an awful game for the Lakers against the Pacers?

Maybe it’s out of context, but there is an actual photo from the game where there are four whole seats in between Lebron and the rest of the team on the bench. Just looked awkward AF.

PowerDump wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 2:43 am
I’m curious, are there any Lakers fans? What’s your opinion on Lebron being there?

I know it’s only one game, but did all the trade rumors make the rest of the team sort of give up and that’s why they lost so bad or was it just an awful game for the Lakers against the Pacers?

Maybe it’s out of context, but there is an actual photo from the game where there are four whole seats in between Lebron and the rest of the team on the bench. Just looked awkward AF.
That photo was taken out of context. Three players had just got up to go to the scorer's table (or so I've heard). As for the actual game, I would say the rumors are definitely having an impact, although losing by 42 is unacceptable.

And as for LeBron, well... I had my reservations when we signed him, and I still have those same reservations.

In the past couple years, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more toxic environment than the Lakers in any of the sports I watch. I still won’t count out the Lakers for the playoffs because they have LeBron, but damn that Anthony Davis trade killed any chemistry among any of the players.

I think they still have a small chance at playoffs, but LeBron has to start putting in the effort on defense. He is not completely faultless for the losing if his teammates are playing 4 on 5 because he walks back when the team turns the ball over.

I don’t get it, he can play defense and I’m sick of the, “He’s conserving his energy” lame excuse his fans use. What’s he conserving his energy for? It’s crunch time right now and he’s too talented for that poor of defense.

PowerDump wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 11:55 am
In the past couple years, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more toxic environment than the Lakers in any of the sports I watch. I still won’t count out the Lakers for the playoffs because they have LeBron, but damn that Anthony Davis trade killed any chemistry among any of the players.

I think they still have a small chance at playoffs, but LeBron has to start putting in the effort on defense. He is not completely faultless for the losing if his teammates are playing 4 on 5 because he walks back when the team turns the ball over.

I don’t get it, he can play defense and I’m sick of the, “He’s conserving his energy” lame excuse his fans use. What’s he conserving his energy for? It’s crunch time right now and he’s too talented for that poor of defense.
That's totally valid criticism about Lebron, but one of the things we have to keep in mind as we talk about him conserving energy is the fact that he's been to the finals eight straight years now. He is 5th in all-time games played, but already first all-time in minutes played, AND minutes per game in the playoffs. If you take minutes into account He's played a little over 3 extra regular seasons. He must be feeling those effects in his mid 30's

Frankthetank wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:37 pm
PowerDump wrote:

That's totally valid criticism about Lebron, but one of the things we have to keep in mind as we talk about him conserving energy is the fact that he's been to the finals eight straight years now. He is 5th in all-time games played, but already first all-time in minutes played, AND minutes per game in the playoffs. If you take minutes into account He's played a little over 3 extra regular seasons. He must be feeling those effects in his mid 30's
Oh and I also forgot to add the fact he's coming of a groin injury in which he probably isn't fully 100 percent recovered from no matter what he says, in order to try to help the Lakers make the postseason because they were sputtering without him

Frankthetank wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:43 pm
Frankthetank wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:37 pm
PowerDump wrote:

Oh and I also forgot to add the fact he's coming of a groin injury in which he probably isn't fully 100 percent recovered from no matter what he says, in order to try to help the Lakers make the postseason because they were sputtering without him
That’s true, but he wasn’t really playing much defense before the injury either this season. My problem is when there are videos of him complaining right after an opponent sinks an open shot and LeBron is the one that is supposed to be guarding that person. That isn’t his teammates fault.

I believe he still can play some defense even with all the mileage when he gets fully healed but we need to see it.

Edit: LMAO, did anyone see Kuzma shove LeBron to play defense? LeBron has no respect from his teammates.

Good for Westbrook for talking back to the fan who allegedly said something racist and good for the Jazz good for banning the fan. I’m sick of this mindset that players have to take such verbal abuse, how about fans are supposed to be held to a certain standard as well?

PowerDump wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Good for Westbrook for talking back to the fan who allegedly said something racist and good for the Jazz good for banning the fan. I’m sick of this mindset that players have to take such verbal abuse, how about fans are supposed to be held to a certain standard as well?
I'm not mad at him either. The fan crossed the line for sure. Russ was wrong to go after the woman but the man was fair game. I've never even come close to thinking about mouthing off to an athlete when I attend a game. The only thing I do is stand and cheer when my team does something will and boo the other team. Hell my seats are so cheap they couldn't hear me anyway. :lol: