2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Generous. It doesn't look notably better than the other stuff. With the exception of Bohemian Rhapsody the other best picture nominees all look better

ArmandFancypants wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 12:19 am
Generous. It doesn't look notably better than the other stuff. With the exception of Bohemian Rhapsody the other best picture nominees all look better
dont even pretend youve seen Never Look Away

-Vader

I haven't, but even if Caleb Deschanel had magically turned to shit Morrison wouldn't be number 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... not her fault, the Marvel visual template has been set by the likes of Ben Davis and Trent Opaloch and everything is kinda bent to that look. Has been the case since roughly 2013 imo

watch Burning, tim

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 6:56 pm
The only really big injustice regarding Panther, that comes to mind is it not being nominated for cinematography. Freaking thing is gorgeous as fuck.£
I would say Buster Scruggs deserved it more.

Vader182 wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 1:16 am
watch Burning, tim

-Vader
I will once again cast off the horrors of Australian distribution in a few weeks so maybe

as always these anonymous oscar voter interviews are surreal:

So Lady Gaga’s performance in A Star is Born is no competition?

Ugh. I am not a fan of A Star is Born. The one thing I loved is Bradley Cooper’s hair. I don’t know how he got his hair to do that!
https://www.thedailybeast.com/anonymous ... n-rhapsody

-Vader

”I thought Christian Bale (as Dick Cheney in Vice) did that type of thing where you transform with makeup into the character.”
yes, that is called acting indeed

ArmandFancypants wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 7:41 am
The fact that it's not well made! The fact!

More comical (and an actual thing) is the aversion to the technical proficiency of Green Book's script which should be used to teach screenwriting.
Not sure if sarcasm(?) or not, would like to hear more about this. One criticism I don't hear enough about Green Book is how
it's basically character goes from Point A to B, shit happens, from B to C, shit happens, from C to D... so formulaic, so lacking in drive, and so arbitrary. It's almost like the screenwriter decided something needs to happen here, so let's raise the stakes by throwing in a conflict with no foreshadowing or cause-and-effect!

anarchy wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 7:35 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 7:41 am
The fact that it's not well made! The fact!

More comical (and an actual thing) is the aversion to the technical proficiency of Green Book's script which should be used to teach screenwriting.
Not sure if sarcasm(?) or not, would like to hear more about this. One criticism I don't hear enough about Green Book is how
it's basically character goes from Point A to B, shit happens, from B to C, shit happens, from C to D... so formulaic, so lacking in drive, and so arbitrary. It's almost like the screenwriter decided something needs to happen here, so let's raise the stakes by throwing in a conflict with no foreshadowing or cause-and-effect!
It's not plot driven because there is no "plot" to speak of just a rather straightforward premise and then from that the characters are going to be changed by their experience. The characters do literally go from point A to B because it's a road trip/tour. This is unimportant beyond the fact that A) the region is hostile and B) Tony would like to be back for Christmas.

What is important is that character is revealed through action, and action is sourced from character. Everything is motivated by character and informed by where the characters are at emotionally, and we have an organic progression from the protagonists interaction being forced by proximity and isolation to being about active choices and genuine friendship. The conflicts are not the literal ones of the environment but the more meaningful, for the purpose of the film, conflicts of expectation, culture and stereotype. That the (quite believable and largely organic) incidents inform, accelerate and support the change is necessary because we are watching a 2 hour film, not watching this play out in real time. But it's not as simple as them learning some sort of facile lesson from each incident, it is often about character reveal and self-examination more than anything. And that's why the film has connected with an audience - it offers spiritual enrichment and reward for embracing your fellow man. It's carrot over stick storytelling, and if it was that easy more people would do it and have similar success.