NBA Discussion Thread

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Even tho he missed some games, if Curry stays healthy he could easily be a contender this year. He simply makes his team better, look at how they struggled without him. Kawhi is also another obvious candidate so far.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 10:03 pm
I saw that earlier, gosh I miss Kobe, such a freaking competitor. It’s funny, Shaq is an all time great but he didn’t fulfill his potential. If he had the drive to stay in shape he probably would have been the GOAT and extended his prime a few years.

I also hate the how much flack Kobe can get. First, he won 2 championships without Shaq and some people still call him Shaq’s Sidekick. Second, I hear people say “he only shot 44.7%” from the field so he wasn’t that good. First, the numbers are skewed, he couldn’t do much the last 2 years with the injury. He would probably e around 45.5-46% if you take off the injury years which isn’t remotely bad. I’d also say if he played his prime in how the game is played today you could probably add 2% to his shooting percentage right there, he would fricken murder in today’s league (him and Jordan) with defense not being what it used to be.

Fuck Kobe the Rapist and fuck A Roid. Two of the biggest phonies of all time. Amazes how people try to forget that Kobe was on trial for rape and got away with it and Rodriguez well that doesn't need to be explained what fraud he was. Two guys worried about their image and both came out looking like frauds. And Kobe was Shaq's sidekick. Shaq was Finals MVP during that 3 peat and dominated. Kobe isn't close to a title without him.

bootsy wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 3:54 pm
Fuck Kobe the Rapist and fuck A Roid. Two of the biggest phonies of all time. Amazes how people try to forget that Kobe was on trial for rape and got away with it and Rodriguez well that doesn't need to be explained what fraud he was. Two guys worried about their image and both came out looking like frauds. And Kobe was Shaq's sidekick. Shaq was Finals MVP during that 3 peat and dominated. Kobe isn't close to a title without him.
Yeah nobody likes A Rod, but you lost a lot of credibility with saying he isn’t close to a title without Shaq, he won 2 without him.

As for the rape thing, nobody knows if it happened.

PowerDump wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 4:05 pm
bootsy wrote:
Yeah nobody likes A Rod, but you lost a lot of credibility with saying he isn’t close to a title without Shaq, he won 2 without him.

No I'm not totally wrong. You take Shaq off of that team and Kobe is not winning any titles. Shaq was the true x factor that no team had an answer for.

I always felt Kobe was guilty of something and still do.

bootsy wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 4:22 pm
PowerDump wrote:
bootsy wrote:

No I'm not totally wrong. You take Shaq off of that team and Kobe is not winning any titles. Shaq was the true x factor that no team had an answer for.

You take Kobe off that team and Shaq isn’t winning any titles. Ever heard of Penny Hardaway in his prime? That guy was a f***img stud until his injuries and Shaq couldn’t win with him and Shaq was in peak condition then.

Pretty much every team has a really good second person at least. Jordan and Pippen, Lebron and Wade, Lebron and Kyrie, Shaq and Kobe and on and on and on.

Funny how Kobe is referred to as a sidekick when he makes most top 10 NBA players list and many top 5. He sure killed in that sidekick role lol.

PowerDump wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 4:38 pm
bootsy wrote:
PowerDump wrote:

You take Kobe off that team and Shaq isn’t winning any titles. Ever heard of Penny Hardaway in his prime? That guy was a f***img stud until his injuries and Shaq couldn’t win with him and Shaq was in peak condition then.

Pretty much every team has a really good second person at least. Jordan and Pippen, Lebron and Wade, Lebron and Kyrie, Shaq and Kobe and on and on and on.

Funny how Kobe is referred to as a sidekick when he makes most top 10 NBA players list and many top 5. He sure killed in that sidekick role lol.
You take Kobe off that team and put another really good, All NBA wing player and they are winning titles. There were players during that era with similar skillsets to Kobe. There was NO player like Shaq during that era. Dwyane Wade won a title with Shaq not even in his prime anymore. Shaq's domination was not comparable to anything else in the NBA.

Kobe doesn't make many top 10 lists and he definitely doesn't make top 5. Top 5 is usually MJ, Lebron, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Bird, Duncan. These are players with multiple MVPs. Kobe has 1. He is probably a top 10-15 range but it's very hard to argue he's better than any of those players.

bootsy wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 5:27 pm
PowerDump wrote:
bootsy wrote:

You take Kobe off that team and put another really good, All NBA wing player and they are winning titles. There were players during that era with similar skillsets to Kobe. There was NO player like Shaq during that era. Dwyane Wade won a title with Shaq not even in his prime anymore. Shaq's domination was not comparable to anything else in the NBA.

Kobe doesn't make many top 10 lists and he definitely doesn't make top 5. Top 5 is usually MJ, Lebron, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Bird, Duncan. These are players with multiple MVPs. Kobe has 1. He is probably a top 10-15 range but it's very hard to argue he's better than any of those players.
And I’m not arguing Shaq’s excellence, and Wade is the next best shooting guard of all time outside of MJ and Kobe so that isn’t saying much against Kobe. Kobe won 2 championships outside of Shaq, that negates the Kobe can’t win argument all together. You even say he’s probably top 10-15 and still dump on him which makes no sense (and if you hate him and think he’s that high why can someone with a neutral opinion think he should be rated higher?)

And you’re just making up the “he doesn’t make many top 10 lists” up. Freaking google it and he will show up on over half of those lists by actual sites (not random people). Actually listen to players when they are interviewed and a ton of them acknowledge Kobe’s excellence. Tracy Mcgrady even said he wouldn’t have won as much with Shaq as Kobe did in his prime. Larry Bird even said if he wanted to have a ton of fun playing the game he would pick Lebron but if wanted to win he would want to be on Kobe’s team. Magic Johnson even said Kobe was better.

Edit: As for the MVPs, I’m still not sure how to weigh that argument. James Harden has potential to have more than Kobe and he doesn’t even play defense. Kobe has like 9 all defensive first team selections.

PowerDump wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 5:49 pm
bootsy wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 5:27 pm
PowerDump wrote:

And I’m not arguing Shaq’s excellence, and Wade is the next best shooting guard of all time outside of MJ and Kobe so that isn’t saying much against Kobe. Kobe won 2 championships outside of Shaq, that negates the Kobe can’t win argument all together. You even say he’s probably top 10-15 and still dump on him which makes no sense (and if you hate him and think he’s that high why can someone with a neutral opinion think he should be rated higher?)

And you’re just making up the “he doesn’t make many top 10 lists” up. Freaking google it and he will show up on over half of those lists by actual sites (not random people). Actually listen to players when they are interviewed and a ton of them acknowledge Kobe’s excellence. Tracy Mcgrady even said he wouldn’t have won as much with Shaq as Kobe did in his prime. Larry Bird even said if he wanted to have a ton of fun playing the game he would pick Lebron but if wanted to win he would want to be on Kobe’s team. Magic Johnson even said Kobe was better.

Edit: As for the MVPs, I’m still not sure how to weigh that argument. James Harden has potential to have more than Kobe and he doesn’t even play defense. Kobe has like 9 all defensive first team selections.
It took Kobe to get a gift in Paul Gasol and Phil Jackson coming back for Kobe to win.

I don't care what Magic said. Kobe was not better than Magic.

Multiple MVPs weigh heavily in the argument. All of those players I mentioned won at least 3 MVPs except Duncan who won 2.