Aquaman (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
And hopefully so is DC...

Edit: ok another wonder woman would be fine but nothing else please

Sanchez wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 6:49 pm
And hopefully so is DC...

Edit: ok another wonder woman would be fine but nothing else please
Gotham City Sirens etc... They’ll just keep making these... half-movies. Unfortunately.🕷️

Seems like we're gonna be on opposite sides of the fence here, m4. Spider-Verse felt like it was written by a 15 year old teenager who attended 2 weeks of scriptwriting classes. I haven't seen Aquaman yet, but to me, it's visuals for Atlantis look far cooler than anything in Spider-Verse where the visuals started to get on my nerves by the beginning of the third act.

Wan went completely wild on this. Basically everything that you can imagine is in it. The action is spectacular, on land but even more so when it's set underwater. The one on one combats, the chase scenes and of course the all out war look incredible and are exhilarating.
Momoa is having the time of his life, Kidman and Dafoe bring gravitas. Heard, Wilson, Mateen are serviceable but it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Again, Wan is the wan who steers this craziness. It certainly has no lack of some real cheesy scenes and overall the film just is a whole lot... I think he could've trimmed some of it.
Making Aquaman cool and introducing the world to the Atlantean mythos? IMO succeeded. It could've used more character development for some characters and more heart would've made it a better film.

This is definitely getting an Oscar Nomination for Best VFX and of all the visual spectacle this year, it could very well nab it. Some obvious green screen shots didn't hurt 2049 nor Jungle Book of winning it.

BlairCo wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 7:32 pm
Seems like we're gonna be on opposite sides of the fence here, m4. Spider-Verse felt like it was written by a 15 year old teenager who attended 2 weeks of scriptwriting classes. I haven't seen Aquaman yet, but to me, it's visuals for Atlantis look far cooler than anything in Spider-Verse where the visuals started to get on my nerves by the beginning of the third act.
Visuals in Aquaman have no function, purpose. Everything is just thrown together because it looks ‘cool’ or because it looked cooler in Avatar, Blade Runner, A.I., Minority Report etc. The CGI overuse kills even the on-location shots because the backdrops had to be manipulated as well, for some reason.

Visuals in Spider-verse, on the other hand, tell a story. And said story is both approachable for the kids (as any decent comic should be), and heartfelt, intriguing, for the adults. In Spider-verse, you know the beats, but still feel like they’re perfectly clicking into narrative joints, Miles’ arc feels earned (and culminates in one of my all time favorites this year), whereas in Aquaman it’s a matter of such cliche writing that I had to facepalm couple of times, and most definitely cringe throughout, just to survive the length.

Example A (no spoilers): Opening of the movie, little Arthur is born. On TV, hurricane ‘Arthur’ is ragging, says the host. Then, the father says to Atlana: Maybe we should call him Arthur? Atlana: Because of the hurricane?

... :blank:

Everything is telegraphed miles ahead, cheesy as hell. Not to mention how Arthur and Mera have no chemistry. And they’re supposed to be our Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner. Not sure I smiled at one interaction... one, bloody, interaction. You know what changed in Arthur from start to finish? The armor and the trident. That’s about it. He starts as a douche, ends up as a douche, the end. We wanted to leave the theatre to talk about Spidey and I was naturally embarrased because I don’t do that shit, I stay till the end, but this was hard... and I was a bit tired from the whole day, ended up closing my eyes for couple of seconds... only to open them during the obnoxious final fight that felt like Minas Tirith... but on crack, class-less.

What these movies are doing to the brand is despicable, in my opinion. Because the only thing I’m thinking about upon leaving theatre is how I just wanna grab something from Marvel and read it asap. I don’t want to read the fantastic Geoff Johns or Dan Abnett Aquaman run. Because they just conpletely killed the character in front of my eyes mere hours ago and it’s destroying the brand in my eyes... it’s terrible and I don’t see the end of it for DC.🕷️

I decided to skim through the soundtrack because why not. I gotta say i really like the main theme.

Make a video review m4. You'll be trending in no time. :thumbup:

BADASS MOVIE!

In line to see this. Lowered my expectations so hopefully I'm surprised.
prob won't be

Wow
That was pretty bad