Roma (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Multiple cinema's in the Netherlands, Arnhem and Eindhoven for sure.

This is the best movie of the year. I can't remember the last time I sat through a movie and knew that I was witnessing a masterpiece. It is a universal crime that most people will only get the chance to watch this on Netflix. Cinema was made for movies like this one.

This will actually be screened in a lot of cinemas in Germany, even in smaller cities like mine, and I'm really happy about that. :gonf:

Saw this theatrically a second tonight but don't be rushed to tell me I was lucky.

It was at a Chicago art-house theater, and the picture and sound quality sucked. Mix was disastrously low to the point you could barely hear people talk, picture was slightly out of focus. These lower-end theaters Roma is likely at seriously question whether Roma would be better served at home on a soundbar, loud as you want, and on a 50 inch TV than in an experience like this.

it makes you wonder, Roma has maybe one of the best sound mixes of all time, and as more and more prestige filmmakers go to netflix, this problem will continue. Scruggs was only shown here as well. The greatest artists of our time will either have their movies exhibited super shittily, or their stuff will go straight to you at home.

Not to be cynical, but "Death of cinema" indeed.

(For the Chicago natives here, i saw it at landmark)

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 5:02 am
Saw this theatrically a second tonight but don't be rushed to tell me I was lucky.

It was at a Chicago art-house theater, and the picture and sound quality sucked. Mix was disastrously low to the point you could barely hear people talk, picture was slightly out of focus. These lower-end theaters Roma is likely at seriously question whether Roma would be better served at home on a soundbar, loud as you want, and on a 50 inch TV than in an experience like this.

it makes you wonder, Roma has maybe one of the best sound mixes of all time, and as more and more prestige filmmakers go to netflix, this problem will continue. Scruggs was only shown here as well. The greatest artists of our time will either have their movies exhibited super shittily, or their stuff will go straight to you at home.

Not to be cynical, but "Death of cinema" indeed.

(For the Chicago natives here, i saw it at landmark)

-Vader
Did you/will you write to the manager? Trying to bring my friends there, don't want the experience to suck

I'm planning to today. If you've visited landmark, you know they're notoriously so-so with presentations and sound so I can't see it changing much to be honest. This was just the worst I've seen it in a long time.

The projection was maybe 5-10% out of focus too. It was a little fuzzy / murky compared to the ultra-crisp look I saw at River East (and you see in the trailers).

Honestly regret not having friends in my home theater instead. My 5.1 system and 75'' display doing 4K HDR would've been way better than whatever this was. This sounds like humble bragging but it's just to show there shouldn't be a world where my home theater is better than what I paid $15 for.

-Vader

Oh my goodness. This film was so amazing. Beautiful imagery, very visceral, and just such a beautiful story. The actress who plays Cleo is so dang talented. There were so many times during the film when I teared up.

One of the most emotional experiences I've had in a theater. I can't imagine watching this on my TV. This needs to be seen in theaters.

I think I’ll do just fine on my 65 inch 4K HDR TV with surround sound.

Allstar wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 8:50 pm
Literally disrupting the film industry!

Allstar wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 8:50 pm
Same, but having seen this in theaters, I'd still suggest making the trip if possible.
It'll be fine on your set-up, but still better in an auditorium (just make sure the theater you choose has a *great* sound system).