Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Saw this for the second time last night, still love it. Picked up on a whole lot of details. Maybe it could've been a tad tighter here and there because it is a long film any which way. Nevertheless, I think Guadagnino is the real star here and Swinton the heart.

Don't really know what to feel about this. Sutherland and Christie are pretty great in this though.

LelekPL wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 10:13 am
I always found Seven Samurai a bit overrated. It's good but that's about it. Maybe because it's been remade, rebooted, referenced, etc, and it just doesn't feel that interesting nowadays. Then again, his best movie, Throne of Blood, is also obviously not original and it's fascinating to watch. I also liked Rashomon and Ran a lot more than Seven Samurai. I need to watch Yojimbo but I'm afraid I will have similar issues with it as with SS.
Are you one of those that prefers The Magnificent Seven?

Nomis wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 7:27 pm
Don't really know what to feel about this. Sutherland and Christie are pretty great in this though.
Don't Look Now is fucking great.

yeah my letterboxd review:
A wretched labyrinth of time and space turned to nightmarish blur; there is no greater horror than loss. Doubles as a formalist exploration and a powerful horror/drama, the free-associative editing (recently used to tremendous impact in HBO's Sharp Objects) gives us not only one of the greatest sex scenes of all time--where man and woman are together and apart simultaneously--but also one of the greatest endings. As a study in grieving, there aren't many better.

Those who know the fragmented visual styles of Terrance Malick, Christopher Nolan, Jean-Marc Vallée and Michael Mann will find much to enjoy here.

Julie Christie is devastatingly beautiful.
it's a masterpiece i think, top 100 for me

-Vader

Just came back from the 25th Anniversary re-release of Mask of the Phantasm.

Seeing it on the big screen was great. Amazing movie and such a great timeless Batman story.

I wish I was able to go. I had work. :(

One of my childhood favorites.

Bacon wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 11:14 pm
I wish I was able to go. I had work. :(

One of my childhood favorites.
I forgot that theaters were showing it until someone in my discord group mentioned it.

Hopefully they do another re-release for the 30th anniversary.

OVERLORD

No way this isnt a Wolfenstein movie. I swear it had the title, but last second they couldnt get the rights to it. Such a god damn blast in the theaters

Artemis wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 11:13 pm
Just came back from the 25th Anniversary re-release of Mask of the Phantasm.

Seeing it on the big screen was great. Amazing movie and such a great timeless Batman story.
I have never been able to find the film on DVD for some reason.

bootsy wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 10:19 pm
LelekPL wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 10:13 am
I always found Seven Samurai a bit overrated. It's good but that's about it. Maybe because it's been remade, rebooted, referenced, etc, and it just doesn't feel that interesting nowadays. Then again, his best movie, Throne of Blood, is also obviously not original and it's fascinating to watch. I also liked Rashomon and Ran a lot more than Seven Samurai. I need to watch Yojimbo but I'm afraid I will have similar issues with it as with SS.
Are you one of those that prefers The Magnificent Seven?
No... I find them to have similar issues and both movies have their own strengths that don't really outweigh the other. TMS definitely has better pacing, while SS is more poignant in the end. Also different characters are better in both of these movies. Brynner and Coburn shine in the remake, while Mifune is obviously in a class of his own in the original.