Suspiria (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 8:18 pm
i’m a little offended no one remembered me

I’M ALSO ANTICIPATING THIS

but divisive reactions don’t surprise me at all lol
what ur name is there

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 8:20 pm
Ruth wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 8:18 pm
i’m a little offended no one remembered me

I’M ALSO ANTICIPATING THIS

but divisive reactions don’t surprise me at all lol
what ur name is there

-Vader
your gaslighting just totally worked, i definitely don’t see the edit and my name was obviously there from the start thank you

Ruth, when do you get to see this? I forget your last update.

Bacon wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 8:48 pm
Ruth, when do you get to see this? I forget your last update.
pretty positive it’s december 14th. what can i say lmao... at least it’s happening and maybe my word on this here will be the last one haha.

i can kind of occupy myself with old movies and tv shows for now. and uhm life, too

So this was definitely this year's mother!... moody first half with a crazy batshit ending. I definitely enjoyed this more though for two main reasons
1-A lot is left for interpretation. I discussed it forever after the end of my screening. Everything was really obvious in mother

2-It's gorgeously directed/choreographed/etc THAT sequence in the ending is still pure art even with everything going on. I just felt Aronofsky had no plan other than be anarchic without any purpose. Guadagnino should be nominated for an Oscar
General thoughts: I didn't see the 150 minutes passing by, I was glued to the screen, it's completely gorgeous and hypnotic. Amazing direction (COMPLETELY different than anything Guadagnino's done before), so-so script. Still a wonderful experience. It's in my top 3 of the year

DreamPolice wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 8:01 pm
finally watching this tomorrow

y'all better get ready for my fiery as fuck take on it
OK sooooooooooooooooooooo

I liked it. Ish.
I was definitely digging that 70s aesthetic and I enjoyed seeing the dynamic between the witches and students. Body horror stuff + the visions were also dope. But overall product didn't have as much as an impact as I thought it would. Also the doc/terrorist side stuff was a lil meh/too on the nose thematically.
tbh, that gore sequence near the end was clumsily executed

Just got back. A few general thoughts (no spoilers until button obviously):

Why are people complaining about the length? This thing is longer than it needs to be, but, out of all the things to pick apart, the length is not one of them. Especially since the same people are often the ones complaining that Klemperer's story takes up half the film and it definitely does not come anywhere close to doing that.

I was impressed by how much the film held back compared to what advertisements/social media have people believe. It's got the disturbing stuff you go to see, but it puts craft before gratuity.

The shots are great (with a few questionable zooms), the score is great, the acting is good (see spoilers). The editing balanced the line between perfection and distracting, though. The film occasionally does this kind of slow-motion that I cannot stand - the kind that a student filmmaker would use with no better technology available - and it really took me out of the experience when it happened. Tons of filmmakers use it and why they continue to is completely beyond me.
Which unfortunately happened in the big climax. The film had me completely gripped, Yorke's "Unmade" kicked in at the perfect moment, and then the film shook me out of it with that shaky-cam slow-motion. The shot of all the girls dancing around Susie was gorgeous and was severely affected by the slow-motion - and then it fixes itself and goes at normal speed halfway through the shot. Why not have that the whole time? You've composed this beautiful shot and choreography only to stretch it out and blur it? Was it to fit to the song, because I'm sure the song could've been cut (the opening was)?

Also, the final shot of the film (the zoomed in heart) was so blurry that it was ugly to look at on the screen. It looked like someone had blown up a 480p still image to zoom in on a portion of the image in MS Paint.

The acting was mostly good, but as soon as Susie started acting weird, I knew she wasn't what she appeared to be. Johnson did a great job performing her role, but if Luca intended for her true identity to be a twist, it didn't work for me. Especially considering how different characters kept saying Mother Markos "claimed" she was one of the three mothers.

These issues, in addition to the minor thematic contradictions, didn't make me dislike the film, but they could have easily been fixed, which is what bugs me most.

Just about everything else, I dug.

EDIT: DreamPolice, I totally agree with the spoiler.

why do you think it was blurry and slow-motion?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 7:35 pm
why do you think it was blurry and slow-motion?

-Vader
To me they were obviously just doubling down on that faux-70s technique that they'd been keeping up for the rest of the movie.

So it looks like ass, but I can at least respect the intent.

Also....my screening never had the card at the beginning saying it was a 6 act + epilogue story. It just went straight to Act 1 unless I missed something. I found that weird, because everyone was saying it tells you right off the bat.