Suspiria (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Nomis---I did read your response and thanks for that quote Durden. I read Ant's response too, of course.

I'm just digesting. Reading interviews with David Kajganich and Luca, it seems they had very elaborate intentions here, and quite frankly I'm not sure most of it is actually in the text of the movie.

For instance this (super spoilery) quote:
“Halfway through editing the sequence I said to Thom Yorke and Walter Fasano, my editor, that we had to instill a moment of deep melancholy, because when you become, you are evolving into a new person, and you’re mourning the end,” Guadagnino explains. “It’s the death of the previous version of yourself, which is what happens in the movie. We wanted to create a bridge between this fierce horror and this very melancholic sadness.”
I was genuinely confused at
whether or not she was Mother Suspirium the entire time, or whether Susie had offered herself up to Mother Suspirium, and I thought it was meant to be confusing, but this quote above makes me even more confused.
I've never seen a movie so overly intertextual, literal and literate also try to be so opaque, dream-like and hypnotic and I'm not sure that balance is perfected.

-Vader
There are several hints in the story that Susie has a connection to the coven, even before she arrives. She's pulled towards Berlin at a young age (her drawing on the map, specifically Berlin), she's seen Madam Blanc's performance multiple times and was completely taken by it. Then by performing in the dances we see she's making a sort of connection to 'death/Suspiriorum' who's hidden way down in the school. Madam Blanc sort of seems to kick start all this by pressing points in her body so that Susie is actually the one who, quite literally, breaks Olga. Not to forget that she seems to understand her nightmares and in a way connects with Madam Blanc, through them. And the way Susie sort of takes over the talents of the other girls, like the ability to jump real high.
The way I see it, Susie slowly but surely comes to understanding that she is Suspiriorum. You can see she is realising it, accepting it, by the time she's having dinner with all the teachers of the school. Blanc realises it as well. To me it makes sense why Susie says "I am she." the witchcraft in that act finalises Susie's position as Mother Suspiriorum.

Nomis wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 7:43 am
Vader182 wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Nomis---I did read your response and thanks for that quote Durden. I read Ant's response too, of course.

I'm just digesting. Reading interviews with David Kajganich and Luca, it seems they had very elaborate intentions here, and quite frankly I'm not sure most of it is actually in the text of the movie.

For instance this (super spoilery) quote:
“Halfway through editing the sequence I said to Thom Yorke and Walter Fasano, my editor, that we had to instill a moment of deep melancholy, because when you become, you are evolving into a new person, and you’re mourning the end,” Guadagnino explains. “It’s the death of the previous version of yourself, which is what happens in the movie. We wanted to create a bridge between this fierce horror and this very melancholic sadness.”
I was genuinely confused at
whether or not she was Mother Suspirium the entire time, or whether Susie had offered herself up to Mother Suspirium, and I thought it was meant to be confusing, but this quote above makes me even more confused.
I've never seen a movie so overly intertextual, literal and literate also try to be so opaque, dream-like and hypnotic and I'm not sure that balance is perfected.

-Vader
There are several hints in the story that Susie has a connection to the coven, even before she arrives. She's pulled towards Berlin at a young age (her drawing on the map, specifically Berlin), she's seen Madam Blanc's performance multiple times and was completely taken by it. Then by performing in the dances we see she's making a sort of connection to 'death/Suspiriorum' who's hidden way down in the school. Madam Blanc sort of seems to kick start all this by pressing points in her body so that Susie is actually the one who, quite literally, breaks Olga. Not to forget that she seems to understand her nightmares and in a way connects with Madam Blanc, through them. And the way Susie sort of takes over the talents of the other girls, like the ability to jump real high.
The way I see it, Susie slowly but surely comes to understanding that she is Suspiriorum. You can see she is realising it, accepting it, by the time she's having dinner with all the teachers of the school. Blanc realises it as well. To me it makes sense why Susie says "I am she." the witchcraft in that act finalises Susie's position as Mother Suspiriorum.
Yeah, that's correct. She had subconscious signs that she is Suspiriorum's current vessel and Blanc knew that all along and she's been subconsciously pushing her into not only accepting what the script describes as Susie's 'full identity' (that's why she got accepted into the academy and became Blanc's protegee so quickly) but letting everyone believe she's merely following the other witches' idea of using her as a new vessel for Markos (who is a fraud).

Which I think begs the question of how did Susie become Suspiriorum in the first place. Looking at the script (which has slightly longer sequences with her mother in Ohio) confirm that she was dying of cancer:
My last child was --my sin. I saw the Tempter in her and did not see It --for what It was. She was quiet in its service for --so long. (beat) She is my sin. She is what I have smeared upon the world--

I'm not sure the movie does a convincing job explaining
Susie's journey to become Suspirium or that's what's really happening. We're stuck on the exterior of her journey, never the interior, and we don't ever have insight into what she's really going through or why she's going through it, other than she's seemingly all powerful and just came out of nowhere with all these amazing abilities we don't understand.

This is heightened since we never get a sense of how Mother Suspirium began "posessing" Susie if that's indeed what's happening or why / to what end.
This is all very murky. Intentionally, I'm sure.

-Vader

the film is without a doubt murky on this. I think it’s intentional for sure. Mostly to make the twist all the more “shocking”. We do see several hints that she is experiencing some type of feeling or her behavior differs from the other girls.

Her reaction to the other ladies dealing with the police officer is to chuckle. Rather than tell the other girls what she saw.

Her vivid nightmares while waking and saying “I know who I am”

Her conversation with Sara about how she felt something while dancing. Almost awaken by Blanc.

Even her conversation about staying low to the ground and waiting for the big jump could be referring to the reveal
While I do agree it can come off as surface level.

My local theater put back up their showings this weekend. So as long as nothing significant changes like last time, I'll be seeing this Thursday or Saturday.

Going to Slovenia for this! :D Either this Sunday (holy shit) or more likely 21st onwards, this month. 🕷

m4st4 wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 1:53 am
Going to Slovenia for this! :D Either this Sunday (holy shit) or more likely 21st onwards, this month. 🕷
m4 RISES :twothumbsup:

Vader182 wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 3:31 pm
I'm not sure the movie does a convincing job explaining
Susie's journey to become Suspirium or that's what's really happening. We're stuck on the exterior of her journey, never the interior, and we don't ever have insight into what she's really going through or why she's going through it, other than she's seemingly all powerful and just came out of nowhere with all these amazing abilities we don't understand.

This is heightened since we never get a sense of how Mother Suspirium began "posessing" Susie if that's indeed what's happening or why / to what end.
This is all very murky. Intentionally, I'm sure.

-Vader
Isn't it because Susie is the perfect girl to become Suspiriorum? It obviously wasn't Patricia, whom I think was seen as the chosen one before her? It's been a while since I've seen the film so perhaps you or others know this.
Anyway, perhaps it's something for the sequel (praying we get one) to explore. I mean, since Guadagnino's Suspiria has drastically changed the ending, I wonder what he has planned for the sequel. Have you watched Argento's Inferno? I hope Guadagnino doesn't stick too much to that one... I'd prefer him to make the sequel as fresh as it could be. Preferably doing something with Mater Suspiriorum and Mater Tenebrarum, but again, not sticking to Inferno's plot lol
m4st4 wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 1:53 am
Hell fucking yeeeeaaahhh

Thanks guys, I have plenty of time to listen to this beautiful soundtrack.🕷️

Small update: going next Friday-Saturday most likely. Friend found several projections across the town. Everything almost sold out, apparently Ljubljana is Hipsterburg.🕷️