Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Michaelf2225 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 6:52 pm
McQ should get a best director nom
and Fallout should get a BP nom but neither will ever happen

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 6:54 pm
Michaelf2225 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 6:52 pm
McQ should get a best director nom
and Fallout should get a BP nom but neither will ever happen

-Vader
not that i think there should be a popular film category (there shouldn't), but there's still sometimes this weird barrier where certain films can't get nominated despite being like the best movie ever

say what you will about black panther, but if it is indeed nominated it will liberalize the category to better consider more genre oriented fair

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 7:11 pm
it will liberalize the category to better consider more genre oriented fair

-Vader
I'd respectfully disagree. In that case, the film's nomination would have nothing to do with the genre orientation. Another superhero film down the line likely won't get nominated, even if it is a more critically acclaimed film. BP has extreme cultural relevance and also extreme hostility from fans of the film. That mix is what's getting it nominated, not the filmmaking. The film getting nominated will not be a sign that the Academy is open to more popular films being recognized, it will be nominated because the Academy wants to avoid the PR disaster of being called racist more than they already are. Whether BP should or should not get nominated is not the question here, but BP getting nominated would not signify any real shift in the Academy because it will be a move made under pressure out of fear and one they probably would not like to repeat.

We're at a point where it takes a cultural phenomenon to even have this conversation when previous films of the same genre orientation on par or better than BP were completely out of the question. That's not exactly a sign of liberation.

Despite the fact Black Panther was in its theatrical run on Oscar night this past year and was relevant to talk about, they can't possibly get away with mentioning BP more then than these upcoming Academy Awards. You can bet it will be nominated for a certain somethings.

I didn't really like the movie when I saw it in theaters, but I will give it another chance on Netflix. I guess I just don't much care for its cultural relevance, even as a half-black man myself. I'd rather see M:I get nominated, though I don't think that deserves to be in many instances either (and I'm saying that with it being my third favorite film of the year so far). McQ and Cruise did a helluvan excellent job though.

The way this franchise is going, I feel like the next one might end up being an uber masterpiece.£

Master Virgo wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 1:41 am
The way this franchise is going, I feel like the next one might end up being an uber masterpiece.£
I fully expect Parkour Cruise next time around. Plus wingsuits.

In all seriousness, scenes like the first encounter with the White Widow make me love how McQuarrie was able to change up the directing style from one film to another so well. I know he needs a break from the franchise like Craig did with Bond, but I do hope they can convince him to return for one more go-around.

I also expect the next one to be the last M:I film that Cruise does, despite the moneymaking enterprise that it has been. There is only so much he can do for so long before audiences realize he can no longer up the ante on his own terms. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I say if they can really spend the next 3-4 years to make sure they go out with a bang on the next one, that it would be perfectly okay with me.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 12:02 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 1:41 am
I fully expect Parkour Cruise next time around. Plus wingsuits.

In all seriousness, scenes like the first encounter with the White Widow make me love how McQuarrie was able to change up the directing style from one film to another so well. I know he needs a break from the franchise like Craig did with Bond, but I do hope they can convince him to return for one more go-around.

I also expect the next one to be the last M:I film that Cruise does, despite the moneymaking enterprise that it has been. There is only so much he can do for so long before audiences realize he can no longer up the ante on his own terms. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I say if they can really spend the next 3-4 years to make sure they go out with a bang on the next one, that it would be perfectly okay with me.
Totally agree. Dude will be 60 in the next movie. There's only so much action a man can do before in the age before he looks like Stallone or Arnold.
Flashforward to few years and Cruise is in his 70s looking and running like he's 40 and even Keanu is like "what the fuck is this guy's secret?"

We need another TDKR or Logan from M:I

What's age of Ethan in-universe tho?

Pratham wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 3:02 am
We need another TDKR or Logan from M:I

What's age of Ethan in-universe tho?
His character was born in 1964, so it's just a matter of asking whether everything right now is as present-day as can be. If it's at least in the ballpark of current times as it should be, we're still looking at his character being early-to-mid-50s.