Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Solo
Director : Ron Howard
Year : 2018

This film deserves as much if not more criticism than The Last Jedi,and The Force Awakens and Rogue One before it,because this is such a nothing film.Possibly the most bland,pointless film I've ever seen in a major movie franchise,and I've seen a fair few.
Its just nothing.

A Wrinkle in Time

This was one messy incoherent altogether above average affair, but I still liked it more than Selma.£

Numbers wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 1:39 am
tenth posted

Numbers wrote:
Numbers wrote:
tenth posted
Are you going to have a chance to see Luca's Suspiria soon? Not sure what all festivals you've gone to/what they're showing it at

McQ

Movie's whatev, but the beach chase scene at the end is legit af.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 11:17 pm
McQ

Pretty much.

An amusing attempt to turn an ageing Wayne into Eastwood.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 9:20 pm
CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 11:17 pm
McQ

Pretty much.

An amusing attempt to turn an ageing Wayne into Eastwood.
And then I watched Brannigan today, which features Richard Attenborough having a ton of fun and a bar fight that's up there with the best of them.

Lord of Illusions (1995)

Not Clive Barker's best but the third act is quite interesting. Trying to make magic, wizards and warlocks scary is no easy feat. Hellraiser and Candyman are better films but the atmosphere here at least makes this a bit intriguing.

Altered States (1980)

I really enjoyed this one, mostly because of the crazy visual feast. William Hurt seems to at least properly emote in this film. Ken Russell's films are pretty unique but he seem to love religious imagery a lot that's for sure.

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

The set-up is simple but the characters are what's rally the focus here and they are intriguing and fun enough for you to be invested early on. The soundtrack is also excellent. Austin Stoker, Darwin Joston and Laurie Zimmer are great in this but if I had to have a criticism it's that the criminals are just faceless thugs with not much to them.

Cube (1997)

Mathematics are not my strong suit so I'd likely be dead were I in the situation these characters are in. Cool concept but the last 3 minutes of the film break the suspension of disbelief. The turn a certain character makes at some point in the film is also not that believable but then again, we hardly know any of these people or why they are imprisoned in the room in which we first meet them.

Loved this. Bergman shines, Grant and Rains deliver great performances too. I loved the atmosphere, and they way Hitchcock build towards the crescendo.

Not my cup of tea. Like S. Craig Zahler's Brawl in Cell Block 99 it focuses too much on the excessive violence and fails to deepen the characters. It's a joyless film with little heart and a lot of horror.