Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Has made $726.6 million WW as of today

Nomis wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 12:49 pm
Has made $726.6 million WW as of today
highest grossing M:I movie WW by about 30m and will be highest grossing domestic soon

-Vader

fucking deservedly so

holy shit i fucking love this movie

it’s like the reason why i love movies, it’s PURE FUN, that glues you to your seat from beginning to end, deservingly hyped up and jaw dropping energy and action, yet not tasteless and too detached for you to be able to find at least some emotional weight in it, manages to land all of its touching moments just right without ever needing to resort to overly sentimental trite yadda yadda

i’m a fan

Ruth wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 5:44 pm

it’s like the reason why i love movies, it’s PURE FUN, that glues you to your seat from beginning to end, deservingly hyped up and jaw dropping energy and action, yet not tasteless and too detached for you to be able to find at least some emotional weight in it, manages to land all of its touching moments just right without ever needing to resort to overly sentimental trite yadda yadda

i’m a fan
thanks Ruth, now I want to see this again.

The more I've watched Fallout the more I'm convinced of its instant-all-timer status.

Something I adore about it I haven't seen much discussed is the expressionistic way McQuarrie stages the (three) Parisian chases to symbolically personify intimacy between Ethan and Ilsa. She's circling and getting closer and closer, like a meet-cut across a dance-floor and they slowly gravitate towards eachother. The same use of geography that unites and separate them as she darts around on her bike is the same use of expressionistic geography when she tales him into the park. A visual masterpiece.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ruth wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 5:44 pm

i’m a fan

The more I've watched Fallout the more I'm convinced of its instant-all-timer status.

Something I adore about it I haven't seen much discussed is the expressionistic way McQuarrie stages the (three) Parisian chases to symbolically personify intimacy between Ethan and Ilsa. She's circling and getting closer and closer, like a meet-cut across a dance-floor and they slowly gravitate towards eachother. The same use of geography that unites and separate them as she darts around on her bike is the same use of expressionistic geography when she tales him into the park. A visual masterpiece.

-Vader
Man I legit got shivers just thinking about it. Beautifully said. 🕷

I consider it another landmark action film like Fury Road

I guess people just ... haven't realized it yet?

Vader182 wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 12:07 pm
haha my bad

i just managed to catch the very last screening of this (they literally pulled this today from my theater) just now, which is why my reaction is super delayed. like i kind of feel guilty for being too busy and not having had the time to watch this earlier because I’m sure i would’ve gone to see it again at some point

i watched rogue nation too not even a week ago and i love how Ilsa was dealt with, because writing females in spy films is still pathetically hard apparently without straight up diving into archaic rules and stereotypes. She’s bad ass, but doesn’t come across as a try hard, beautiful, yet doesn’t rely on that solely (if at all tbh), mysterious, but is neither a super obvious love interest, nor a femme fatale who’s about to bring our main lead down, has a past, but isn’t treated as a damsel in distress for the lead to save, even if help is traded on both ends. like all of this is probably super obvious to y’all but tbh i’m just “discovering” this franchise now lol so i have to express how i feel

love how the film doesn’t require something very glaring or verbal to build on Ethan and Ilsa’s relationship, because sequences like vader described manage to tell us much more

Ilsa is definitely one of the best characters the Mission Impossible franchise has given us. I dare to say she's the best female written character, too. Ferguson aces it, I didn't know her work before Rogue Nation and she convinced me in that film that she's one of the better actresses of her generation. I loved how they continued Ilsa's part in Fallout. Like Vader182 described, a wonderful way of showing the complex dynamic between her and Ethan.
They successfully make their relationship a lasting one. You really feel the end, because they did quite a good job with Julia too but Ilsa fits Ethan's lifestyle a lot more. So to speak lol

McQ should get a best director nom