Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Spielberg's best.

Noah

Some amazing sequences, but this is Aronofsky's Hobbit lol. The big bad Ray Winstone character is such filler, he's the Azog of the film.

And the big CGI battle is a weird miscalculation. The Watchers were a cool concept though

The time-lapses sequences were amazing though, never seen anything like that

The War Game
Director : Peter Watkins
Year : 1965

After watching The Day After,Threads and now The War Game the conclusion is all rather simple and obvious.If a nuclear attack were to occur ,we're all practically fucked.

★★★★

Salem's Lot
Director : Tobe Hooper
Year : 1979
Creepy inconsistent haunted house plus Vampire murder mystery from the legendary film director Tobe Hooper based on the successful horror book from spook magnet Stephen King.

Salem's Lot stars the towering figure of David Soul
(Starsky & Hutch) and the great figure of the distinctively voiced James Mason (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea).

★★½

The Venice Film Festival films I was lucky to see:

So yeah, this delivered. From performances, to cinematography, score, set design, sheer atmosphere (oh the atmosphere), the dances, the make-up, costume design just everything, all masterly done. Guadagnino continuously engages you in the story. It's an hour longer than the original film and deservedly so. There are many new angles and it builds to quite the crescendo. This is terrific horror. Definitely one of the best films if not the best so far, of 2018.

This was a lot more raw and emotional than I expected. Great lead performances of Shoenaerts and Kateb.
those photos at the end...
This was a whole lot of fun. An energetic western with heart. Reilly was the MVP, Phoenix, Ahmed and Gyllenhaal also impress. I loved the score and I particularly loved the ending. Reilly is definitely going to get a Golden Globe nom if not an Oscar nom.

First time watch. I'm sorry... But if you're telling a confusing story and by the end you say "Oh no! It was supposed to be confusing", then I don't care for your movie.

BlairCo wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 11:22 pm
First time watch. I'm sorry... But if you're telling a confusing story and by the end you say "Oh no! It was supposed to be confusing", then I don't care for your movie.
What was confusing about it?

It's too fucking dense in explaining itself to the viewers. There is some much information being delivered to the viewer that happens off-screen, but you then learn by the end that information was probably worthless in knowing anyway. It's a movie with a twist that attempts to excuse itself from having a messy script. And if it's a movie I am supposed to watch a second time to understand it better, than to me that's a failure in making a coherent story.

BlairCo wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 12:26 am
It's too fucking dense in explaining itself to the viewers. There is some much information being delivered to the viewer that happens off-screen, but you then learn by the end that information was probably worthless in knowing anyway. It's a movie with a twist that attempts to excuse itself from having a messy script. And if it's a movie I am supposed to watch a second time to understand it better, than to me that's a failure in making a coherent story.
wait if you think the point of the usual suspects is to understand "the plot" I think you watched The Usual Suspects...wrong?

ps avoid The Big Sleep you would not like

-Vader

BlairCo wrote:
And if it's a movie I am supposed to watch a second time to understand it better...
Hi, my name is Christopher Nolan.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 2:43 am
BlairCo wrote:
And if it's a movie I am supposed to watch a second time to understand it better...
Hi, my name is Christopher Nolan.
I've never been confused by anything that Nolan has done in terms of storytelling. There are some things I've needed time to wrap my head around, but he's never done anything that made me feel lost.