Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
MyCocaine wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 1:17 pm
Another great addition.

It's hard not be excited about this movie.
same

Also, I just found out but that batman-news article says this about the Joker:
That he was bullied as a kid because of his permanent smile...

Nomis wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 6:00 pm

Also, I just found out but that batman-news article says this about the Joker:
That he was bullied as a kid because of his permanent smile...
Wtf is this movie

Bullying? Great. Looking forward to the amazing origin story of the Joker.

More importantly, a permanent smile. Last time we got that was almost 30 years ago

Nomis wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 6:04 am
More importantly, a permanent smile. Last time we got that was almost 30 years ago
Glasgow smile is also a ‘permanent smile’, doesn’t mean he’s gonna look like an idiot all the time like Nicholson.

Joaquin had a cleft lip most of his life, they could play it like that.

Ah yes, I think that's better than something like Nicholson's look as the Joker.

Will De Niro be playing Joker's mother?

Nothing would surprise me in this climate.

This can either be good, or it can be the complete opposite. It's one thing if it was a Joker-centric movie, but this is also an origin movie for him, and that's a problem, because the main appeal of the Joker as a character is his mystique. While there are versions of the Joker that had an origin, none of them are particularly as interesting and terrifying as the versions where Joker did not have an origin. It was a genius move on Nolan's part to actually have Joker as a force of nature rather than a character you can understand fully and sympathize with.

Nomis wrote:
Joker does not have a permanent smile. He changes his mouth expressions in the comics all the time.

Batman's Batman wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 11:17 am
While there are versions of the Joker that had an origin, none of them are particularly as interesting and terrifying as the versions where Joker did not have an origin.
The Joker has almost always had an origin story. While Joker not having an origin may sometimes make the character more interesting, it's definitely not his main appeal in my view.

Batman's Batman wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am
Nomis wrote:
Joker does not have a permanent smile. He changes his mouth expressions in the comics all the time.
I believe Nomis was referring to Nicholson's Joker in Burton's film.